Dual Boot Linux on Win7 machine

Home Forums Linux Dual Boot Linux on Win7 machine

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dan0 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Dan0
    Participant

Any info I can get on how to get the Win7 OS to boot first would be greatly appreciated.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

What distro & version of Linux?

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

Regardless, for most GNU/Linux systems, running these three commands should accomplish what you want.

cd /etc/grub.d
    sudo mv 30_os-prober 09_os-prober
    sudo update-grub

The numeric prefix of the files in the /etc/grub.d directory determines the order of the boot menu. The file 30_os-prober is what scans for other operating systems (Windows) and adds them to the menu. The second command renames this file to have a higher priority than Linux (the file named 10_linux). The last command rebuilds the menu.

The commands beginning with sudo will ask you for your password. sudo gives you temporary root permissions and is needed because regular user accounts can’t modify files outside their home directory.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

The easiest way to transfer files in a dual-boot setup is to access the Windows partition while running Linux. You should be able to see and access the Windows partition from Linux’s file manager. If you tell me the name and version of what distribution your running, I can give more specific instructions.

Finally, I don’t know if you’re looking for other ideas but instead of dual-booting you might consider running one operating system as a virtual machine. Oracle’s VirtualBox program is easy to use, and you can use both operating systems (or even more than two) at once; no need for rebooting, partitioning, etc.

smileeb
    Participant

Dan0
    Participant

Thank you all for your help! I am slogging my way through all of this slowly, but it seems to be working so far.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.