DOCIS 3.0 vs 2.0?

Home Forums Hardware DOCIS 3.0 vs 2.0?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Christian Christian 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Dan Warren
    Participant

I have standard TWC internet and an owned DOCIS 2.0 modem. Would I gain anything by getting a 3.0 modem?

Steve Rea
    Steve Rea
    Keymaster

You get the potential of the higher speed services, Extreme and Ultimate.

Racerbob
    Participant

Dan, buy a Motorola SB6141 D3 modem. I own my own and it works great. I am on the 30/5 tier right now with Time Warner. Depending on what happens with the Comcast deal, Time Warner’s plans are to upgrade the standard speed tier from 15/1 speed to 50/5. I would think that the 3.0 modem would be needed then.

Dan Warren
    Participant

Went with the Motorola SB6141 White. Went to Ebay. used credit I had at PayPal and final price was $63.

Racerbob
    Participant

Good choice and a great deal Dan. I am sure that the 6141 will serve you well for years to come. Mine hasn’t missed a beat since I activated it.

RChandra
    Participant

DOCSIS 3 brings among other things channel bonding and IPv6.

Channel bonding means that instead of your data going down (or up) a single channel, and having to wait for a timeslice on a possibly crowded channel, you get slices of your data on several channels, effectively multiplying your available bandwidth by the number of channels bonded. With an SB6141, this means IIRC up to 8x the potential in each direction. It’s not that you’ll get this maximum, you’re still capped at the speed for which you’re paying, it’s just that your chance of going below the paid speed is much reduced. If we use the usual analogy of the Internet being like pipes, think of it as lining up 8 “standard sized” pipes in parallel. The capacity is increased eightfold, but the flow rate in liters per minute does not increase; it’s just that if clogs develop, they’re a lot easier to work around until they’re cleared.

And of course, IPv6 is being used more and more, and IPv4 expansion is vastly slowed, what with the last global allocation of remaining addresses happening on 31-Jan-2011. The Buffalo headends are now passing IPv6 traffic, and are handing out addresses and prefixes (/64 sized right now). If you have a D3 modem, you will be ready for this migration. (although, to be fair, it is possible in some cases to update DOCSIS 2 firmware to pass IPv6.)

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  RChandra.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  RChandra.

Dave_M
    Participant

I’m gettin’ ready to pull the trigger on purchasing my own modem so I can tell TW to go screw.
    Just a question about equipment. What’s the diff between the SB6121 and the SB6141 besides the ~$20 in price. Is the SB6141 worth the extra $$?

RChandra
    Participant

It’s just the number of simultaneously bondable channels. Check the tech specs on each to know which does what. The more bondable channels, the higher the speed which can be subscribed. So if you think someday you may want to subscribe to the higher tiers, or may want to go even faster than what they offer now, it’d probably behoove you to go with the ’41.

just found this: http://jamescausian.hubpages.com/hub/Is-It-Better-To-Buy-Motorola-SB6141-vs-SB6121

“Hence in the case of the Motorola SB6141, instead of having eight single pipes or channels with each capable of transmitting a maximum of 40 Mbps; channel bonding in the Motorola SB6141 combines all the eight channel into a huge channel with theoretical maximum output of 320 Mbps i.e. 40 Mbps x 8 channels.

“That in fact is the theoretical throughput from the Motorola SB6141. The older Motorola SB6121 on the other hand combines 4 channels to give you a maximum theoretical output of 160 Mbps. Both Motorola SB6141 and SB6121 bonds four upstream channels to give you over 100 Mbps when sending or uploading data.”

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by  RChandra.

Dave_M
    Participant

Thanks. Good enough for me! 🙂
    For $15 – $20 more I’ll go with the 6141.

One other question….I’ve seen postings (in reviews on Newegg) regarding getting the latest firmware updates for the modem and some said that TW does not allow customers to update their own modems and will not update the firmware on customers’ modems.

Is that true? And….is it an issue in Rochester and surrounding areas?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by  Dave_M.
    Christian
    Christian
    Participant

Lucky guys… getting to choose your own modem.

The AT&T U-Verse modem (that you must buy for $100) has built-in NAT which you can’t turn off.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.