Collection of Personal Information by Businesses

Home Forums The Show Discussion Collection of Personal Information by Businesses

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  HotDawg 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Christian
    Christian
    Participant

What do you guys do when Radio Shack or other places ask for your info? If it’s not required to complete the transaction I’ll politely decline. If I think that will be a hassle or difficult for the cashier, I’ll make it up. If they’re clear about why they want specific bits of information, I provide that, but usually they just ask without explanation or hand you a form with a bizillion fields.

HotDawg
    Participant

In another life I served my time in a Radio Shack store. Back in those days, every sale had a hand-written receipt, that included the buyer’s name and address.

Many times, it was surprising how many people gave 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington, DC as an address! It was hard to imagine how all these people were able to live at one place!

My manager was questioned as to whether we should accept that address, and his policy was “why not? Who are we to question it”. The only time we needed good identification was when someone was paying by check, then we needed to see a driver’s license, and note it’s number on the check.

Radio Shack used the harvested addresses to flood their customers with advertisements. In those days, they made money. When they stopped that, is when they started to lose money. And, today, where are they?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.