Anti Key-Logger Software

Home Forums Software Anti Key-Logger Software

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Racerbob 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

BrightonNovice
    Participant

In searching the forums for posts on Key Loggers, I am quite surprised that there is only 1 post on the subject. It seems to me that this is the most damaging malware since it can allow the wipeout of a financial account such as banks, stock brokerage, etc.

Has anyone had experience with an anti key-logger program?

Thanks.

Racerbob
    Participant

No experience with ant-keylogger software here, but I recommend searching more than just here because this place is dead.I am not concerned about key loggers because I believe that I am fairly well protected and I do not visit questionable sites on the net. Running Malwarebytes Pro and AVG Pro here at this time.

Christian
    Participant

Most anti-malware programs scan for keyloggers.

HotDawg
    Participant

I sort of depend upon my anti-virus program to catch any keylogger that has been installed. Agreed, that no one of these programs will catch everything — so it pays to have a stable of several that you can use to make an occasional scan with. (Naturally, only one active at a time!)

I did find a KL-Detector program that operates a little differently. It assumes anything logging keystrokes will, at least temporarily, put them into a log file somewhere. It has you stop most of your running programs, then do a few things using Notepad, Paint, and such. It monitors for any log files being created. It is a free program.

This forum doesn’t appear to be the only one that is dead. Almost everything you search for on the internet gets you responses from years ago, but not much that is current.

Racerbob
    Participant

The old SB forum had a lot more use and participation and was a lot more useful to me as I learned a lot from the posts there. Unfortunately, we lost quite a few people who used to post there regularly also and I miss seeing them. Yes I know Christian. Broken Record.

Christian
    Participant

Are you able to see individual posts when viewing the archive of the old board? I can see the lists of posts inside each forum but every post I’ve tried clicking on doesn’t work.

HotDawg
    Participant

I tried the WaybackMachine. They claim to have 103,397 URLs captured for Soundbytes.org. But, none of those (that I have checked) appear to contain any of the actual posts. Lots of “we didn’t archive that” responses!

Today, if I caught what Nick was commenting about on the show, he does very faithful backups of everything. So, I have to assume that it was his intent to not make at least the content of those old messages available anymore. With free storage on the cloud becoming more and more available, it can’t be because of server space problems.

Christian
    Participant

he does very faithful backups of everything

Maybe he meant “starting now” 🙂

HotDawg
    Participant

With the recent ‘meltdown’ of the web site access, as near as I could tell, it was being hosted on a commercial server. Used to be any of those would be running their own backups very often. Where I worked, that was once a day, and to an off-site secure site.

So, it would behoove anyone with a site being hosted somewhere to run your own backups — but also be able to request a reload should something bad happen. Maybe I am living in the past, tho 🙂

Racerbob
    Participant

The fact that the Soundbytes show and crew has been on and together for over 25 years now is to be congratulated and it is a wonderful thing. The fact that the old board was never regularly backed up and saved and then reinstated after the server crash is not a wonderful thing. The old board format worked fine. Much better than this one does. I have been to the Way Back machine site also and it is fun to at least get a taste of what it used to be. But the contents of individual posts cannot be read. A lot of history lost. A lot of members of that board are gone. And there are now 1402 members here and about 15 that post anything.

HotDawg
    Participant

I wonder how many of those 1400+ members, given the opportunity, would still be members? Membership buys you the ability to post messages. Anything else? Then, if you aren’t going to post messages, it doesn’t do much for you.

Seems to me, with the old board, it would track what messages you had read. I know that would be a handy feature. Pretty much when I bring the site up I look for messages that have recent times. But, I bet there is a lot of knowledge here in some of the older posts. But, it doesn’t really lend itself to browse thru those.

For those that pop in several times a day, I guess it works out OK. But, how about the casual user that wanders by once a week, or less often. Soon, you are out of it.

I appreciate that WordPress is apparently the way to go these days. But, a lot of effort went into the old board to make it as user-friendly as it was. And, it worked.

</rant>

Racerbob
    Participant

HotDawg, there is not much activity at all here. There are some posts that are helpful, but I think that the 1400 people registered are for the most part drive bys and never participate or even read this board. If you look down the right side of the categories you will see that it has been weeks and months since the last posts in that particular category.

I am not sold on WordPress. Another board that I belong to still uses the phpBB software that the old Soundbytes board had and it is much more useable than this one is.

Christian
    Participant

I think one problem is that people mostly use the big social networks instead of individual forums. This other forum I’m on just migrated to Discourse. It works a lot better with mobile devices (which seems to be what everyone uses these days), but still has more features then WordPress (e.g. private messages). Discourse also allows people to login using their existing social networking account such as Google or Facebook. Sort of like the comment sections of news articles. I’m always using a desktop PC so I still prefer classic forum software like phpBB and fluxBB.

I had this crazy idea to send PMs in here using PGP encryption. I could post a message in cyphertext and only the person it was meant for could decrypt it. Maybe that would convince them to add a PM feature 🙂 Or the rest of you guys could just join the IRC channel.

By the way, this link is useful if you just want to check for new posts: http://soundbytes.org/forums/feed

Are you sure we shouldn’t bring back Current Events? Might draw some people out of the woodwork. I stand by my recollection that it was the only frequented section of the old board, and that the main reason this site looks dead is due to its absence.

Racerbob
    Participant

Meanwhile, I would like to welcome our newest members !

GeriGuessvzxjj
    BrigettSlaughter
    JudyTracyil
    JoannaLockington
    DuaneLawhorn

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.