Another possibile solution for the fellow on September 17

Home Forums The Show Discussion Another possibile solution for the fellow on September 17

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Nick Francesco Nick Francesco 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Rev 2
    Participant

I was just listening to the September 17 show, which included a fellow whose hard drive was suspiciously full. I had this happen too, and the problem was one that I don’t think I’ve ever heard about on your show.

You know that there is or was a slider somewhere in the Windows settings where you could set the amount of your hard drive to be dedicated to storing restore point information. There was some instruction that it was to be set to a relatively small percentage of your drive.

But….there was a build of AVG with a bug in it that set the slider to half of your hard drive, effectively rendering your hard drive half occupied by restore points. Which is what happened to me.

TreeSize tipped me to a super-gigantic Windows folder, I found out about the bug in the usual Googling-for-solutions way and presto, I was able to reset the slider and almost double the size of my hard drive to what it had been before the bug bit.

Hurray for TreeSize, Hurray for Google, and of course Hurray for Soundbytes.

Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

Great point – thanks!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.