airport problem

Home Forums Macintosh airport problem

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  HotDawg 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Scott WW
    Participant

Spectrum is my service. To their modem I connect a new airport by ethernet.
    Connected by ethernet are 1 imac
    Connected by wifi are 1 new phone, 1 new ipad, and my wife’s 1 year old android phone. All are constant fine EXCEPT the android which seems to get bounced off once or more times a day.
    How can I solve the Android’s connection problem?

HotDawg
    Participant

Are all the WiFi devices using the same band (2.4 vs. 5)?

You might try changing the channels the Airport is on. The Android might be a little more sensitive to some interfering signal.

Scott WW
    Participant

I changed from 2.5 to 5. 30 minutes later here is the message comes: “This AirPort base station doesn’t have any DNS server addresses and might have trouble connecting to the Internet.”

Still iPhone and iPad work but android is intermittent.

HotDawg
    Participant

It would seem if the DNS server information were missing, then all devices connected would be having connectivity problems. That is not 100 % true, since you can define the DNS server in many individual devices.

Most routers, when connected to the internet, will pick up the DNS information via DHCP from the ISP’s servers. But, you can override that if you want.

If you log into the AirPort, does it show what DNS servers it is using? I’m not familiar with the AirPort, but assume you can at least see that.

When the DNS server information is missing, or bad, you should still be able to connect to sites using an IP address — just that a URL isn’t able to resolve.

Instead of the DNS servers provided by Spectrum, you might (temporarily at least) try using some of the free public ones available — like 8.8.8.8 or 4.2.2.4.

Scott WW
    Participant

Thank you. I’ve noticed that airport utility shows there are 5 different 10..0.1 numbers connected by WiFi. What are these things? Can I get rid of any?

HotDawg
    Participant

The 10..0.1 numbers are the devices that are on your LAN. There are several network address blocks that are for local use — not able to be connected to directly over the internet. That is one of those blocks. Another commonly used one is the 192.168.. block. Probably you can access your Spectrum cable modem by logging into 192.168.100.1.

In your case, each device you have on your LAN will have an IP address assigned to it. You mentioned 3 devices (plus the AirPort) — possibly the 5th device might be something like a printer or something of that nature.

Probably your AirPort router has the IP address of 10.0.0.1 assigned to it, and it will hand out, thru DHCP, IP addresses in the 10 block to your various local devices as they come on line. You should be able to see what IP address most devices have drawn. On my Android-based phone if under settings, if I pick ABOUT PHONE and then STATUS, you can find that.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.