Acer v223w LCD Monitor Stopped Working

Home Forums Hardware Acer v223w LCD Monitor Stopped Working

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  HotDawg 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Christian
    Participant

I have two Acer v223w monitors. When I came in the room this morning, both had gone into standby as usual. When I moved the mouse to wake them, only the left one came on. The right one is stuck doing something strange that isn’t described by the manual’s troubleshooting section. The power light isn’t solid amber or blue. Instead, it’s blue for about 3 seconds, then off for 2 seconds, then amber for 1/2 second. This pattern keeps repeating. Also, pressing the power button no longer has any effect. I tried plugging in the DVI cable from the working monitor, to be sure it wasn’t a video card or cable issue, but it kept doing the same thing.

Any suggestions? Searching, I didn’t find anyone with the exact same issue, much less the same monitor. It seems that failing capacitors are a usual source of monitor problems. Is that something that’s easy for me or for a repair shop to fix?

HotDawg
    Participant

I found one reference to symptoms like this, but not for an Acer monitor. That reference suggested the monitor had gone into SAFE mode (for the monitor, not what it’s connected to). That particular monitor could be reset by disconnecting the power cord, holding down a certain combination of the front panel buttons, and reconnecting the power.

With the V223, possibly holding down one or more of the buttons while connecting the power might reset things to the factory default settings.

On replacing the capacitors, I did find a uTube video showing how to do that. Seemed very simple, but it would only be for someone that was comfortable with working on printed circuit boards and wielding a very small soldering iron. Probably getting the monitor apart is as big a deal as the capacitor replacement (if you know which ones are bad).

HotDawg
    Participant

Another thought. . . I assume you did try swapping the power cords between the two monitors.

What you describe sounds like the monitor tries to come up, (amber, then blue), then shuts down briefly. A power pack that has a problem might be starving the monitor for enough current under load might do that.

Christian
    Participant

Tried various power cords – does the same thing. I’m gonna try taking it apart (does seem like the hardest part) and see if there’s anything noticeably wrong.

HotDawg
    Participant

I had found a video on taking that particular monitor apart (IIRC), and was in good detail. The real subject of the video was for replacing the capacitors. I don’t remember exactly what my search term was, but you should be able to find it.

Christian
    Participant

I bought a putty knife yesterday as suggested in a few of the videos. I might try to take it apart tonight.

Christian
    Participant

It took a few minutes to get the technique down of popping open the tabs, but I got it open. There is definitely one capacitor on the power board that is bulging at the top and possibly two more. I wrote down the visible numbers and will try to look them up.

HotDawg
    Participant

I’m assuming you are thinking of replacing any bad capacitors yourself. If you have a capacitor you are reasonably sure is bad, you might try removing it. In many cases there will be several caps in parallel, and the loss of one might let the thing work temporarily.

If you remove any caps, be sure to mark the polarity on down first!

Several years back there was a quite a bunch of bad caps that had found their way on to motherboards and other items.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.