9 Sept 17 – Were you affected by the Equifax breach?

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 9 Sept 17 – Were you affected by the Equifax breach?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  mycque 4 days, 14 hours ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

HotDawg
    Participant

They say I may have been.

I just hope there is safety in numbers.

Shouldn’t that much information flowing out have triggered some alarm?

Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

You’d certainly think so! At the very least, someone on the networking side should have caught something!

RChandra
    Participant

If the tool says your data may have been disclosed, it is probably time to ask for a security freeze, and possibly credit monitoring or an anti-identity-theft service. My suggestion would be to read the articles related to this data revelation on the krebsonsecurity.com Web site.

HotDawg
    Participant

Equifax is offering a service, TrustedID, to everyone that is supposed to give you monitoring of misuse of your information for a year.

Is a year in this case really long enough?

Also, it appears in the Terms of Use for Equifax that you give up your right to start or participate in any class action suit against them. There is some controversy whether this clause applies, or maybe is even legal. But, beware!

just1hitch
    Participant

I would not trust the “tool” on the Equifax site to tell me whether I was affected. If several hundred million people were involved you can just assume that you were. At the very least you can place a “fraud alert” on your credit report at all three agencies at no cost. This is good for ninety days and can be renewed. Here’s a link: https://www.experian.com/fraud/center.html

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

^Pretty much my thoughts too. In order to find out if I’m affected I have to enter lots of personal information into this website. They probably already have it, but maybe not, and I’ve no guarantees that the info I give them won’t be used in other ways. Besides, the only course of action suggested to affected individuals is to monitor your financial statements closely, which you should be doing anyway.

Better to just assume all your information is already in the hands of malicious parties and act accordingly. If your information wasn’t leaded in this breach, is was from one of dozens of reported leaks before this one, or one that we don’t even know about.

mycque
    Participant

I just froze everything, its just going to keep on happening. Equifax and the rest could give a rat’s butt about our credit security.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.