9 Aug 14 How Fast Should “High Speed” Internet Be?

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 9 Aug 14 How Fast Should “High Speed” Internet Be?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Christian 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

And don’t forget upload speed, too!

HotDawg
    Participant

Would that be the speed you have been sold and are paying for, or the speed you get?

Christian
    Participant

No, no, no. Light speed is too slow.

What about data usage expectations? You could theoretically download 300,000TB a month with 1Gbps, but is that reasonable with current infrastructure? I remember reading a story on Ars Technica about a guy who used 70TB with his “unlimited” service before they cut him off. 70TB seems excessive to me, considering I only get 2TB with Linode and 250GB at home. I download a lot and I’ve never come close to exceeding those.

ScreenScream
    Participant

What’s the maximum my 14.4 modem can handle?

Will it help if I switch to CompuServe?

;p

Racerbob
    Participant

It should be a lot faster than what that joke of a company called Frontier offers. That is for sure. Seriously ? We are enjoying the 30/5 speed we have now from Time Warner for our every day internet use. But I voted for Ludicrous Speed. I could handle that just fine.

RChandra
    Participant

All speeds are relative. If your only economical option is DSL, you’d be hard-pressed to get 8M/768K stably, but more likely somewhere in the region of 3M/512K (with average effective wire length). So I feel lament at “high speed” being declarerd 10M/1M, because a lot of DSL customers (and probably satellite as well) would not be considered so.

I’m at 15/1, and I think of it as high speed. It’s certainly a lot better than the DSL I had at 1.5M/384K. But because I back up my 16G Nexus 7 to Google Drive, the 1 up is agonizingly slow to me. I really wish the “standard” was at least 5M up. I’d like to see the norm be similar to the current FiOS base package, which is 25M symmetrical.

Really, instead of speed, I’d like prices to be more in line with the rest of the world; e.g. I hear tell Korea is 100M symmetrical at about the equivalent of $30/mo.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by  RChandra. Reason: mention price instead of speed
    Steve Rea
    Steve Rea
    Keymaster

1 Gbps will get you to your data cap that much sooner!

Racerbob
    Participant

Frontier told me over two years ago that my area here in West Webster should see the new 12/2 and 24/3 speeds “soon”. Right. I live around the corner from a Fontier DSLAM unit and the fastest speed I can get here today would be 6/1. And that is NOT broadband by any stretch.

Christian
    Participant

1 Gbps will get you to your data cap that much sooner!

Yeah, but maybe not. Someone could upgrade their speed without changing their usage pattern, e.g. websites load in half the time but you’re not suddenly browsing the web more often or streaming more movies.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.