9 Aug 13 – Jeff Bezos has purchased the Washington Post

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 9 Aug 13 – Jeff Bezos has purchased the Washington Post

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Christian Christian 4 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

Good idea? Bad idea? What do you think?

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

What can he do with a newspaper? Distribute coupons for the Kindle store?

Racerbob
    Participant

No interest. Couldn’t care less. Never read papers anymore anyway.

Annoyed
    Participant

Never read it, don’t care.

What the print news industry doesn’t seem to understand is that if their publications are biased to the left (or right for that matter) many people will simply ignore them, as they’re not publishing news, they’re pushing propaganda.

The local fish wrapper is a perfect example. I do not subscribe to that, and I won’t even bother to clear my cookies from their site to defeat their paywall.

Racerbob
    Participant

I read the local fish wrapper website occasionally…certainly not everything there. But I do check the obits every day to see if my name is there or if there is someone that I might know who has passed. I certainly do not subscribe to the paper. I used to be a newspaper junkie. Then the price went up and then went up some more and the bias issue continued and I gave up reading it. Now we are getting almost weekly mailings from them to subscribe. Nope. The immediacy of countless sites on the internet and the fact that I can access breaking (I hate that term) news quickly via my computer and phone has replaced printed media.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

I know the expression “dead tree” can be used humorously, but to the extent that it suggests digital documents have an environmental advantage over paper, I’m skeptical. For example, here’s an article that looks at the energy it takes to support all our digital information.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.