8 Mar 14 – 29% of you are still using Windows XP

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 8 Mar 14 – 29% of you are still using Windows XP

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Racerbob 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

WHY?!?!?!

Racerbob
    Participant

I am not using XP…except on an old backup pc that hardly ever gets turned on, but to those folks like my 84 year old father, it is easy to use and does what he needs it to do…which isn’t very much. LOL

When friends bring me an XP machine to work on, I remind them of the impending date in April when their XP operating system will no longer receive any support from Microsoft. I also encourage people to at least get their hands on a copy of Windows 7 because Win7 will run fine on a lot of older machines with no major problems.

Many, many people are not tech savvy. I am right now restoring a young lady’s laptop. Running Win8, but so full of spyware and the like that even after running Malwarebytes and Adw Cleaner, I am certain that bits and pieces of more junk remains. So I decided to back up and restore the whole OS from the restore partition. Sorry for the off topic part of this post. LOL…

But many people are not paying attention to the news about XP, or they just don’t care. I will say that XP was and is a great operating system and that this is another reason…possibly the main reason as to why people do not want to change.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

I’ve offered several times to upgrade my father’s computer. He probably just doesn’t want to be bothered learning a new operating system, and I probably haven’t done enough to explain the risks of not upgrading.

If he agrees to an upgrade, I’m going to put him on Win 7 (well, provide a Win 7 VM at least). Hopefully it will be supported for a similarly long time.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

Everyone likes XP but I liked 2000 a lot more. I don’t like how the control panel in newer versions of Windows presents everything as a wizard. Before XP, I thought all the settings were more logically exposed and things were easier to find. I suppose the short list of “tasks” might seem friendlier to someone who’s never used the control panel prior to XP, but how many people is that? What I want to do hardly ever fits into one of the listed tasks so I have to try one after the other and usually end up searching the web.

RChandra
    Participant

I checked “I’m too cheap.” I have one “pizza box” style computer and one VM, the former of which I use to update my TomTom (and really, that’s about all it does). As long as I can continue to run TomTom HOME 2 on it, I have very little motivation to replace it, which would be hundreds of $$$. It’s so old it very likely will not run anything more modern than XP (or Linux).

All the rest of my inventory runs Linux.

Racerbob
    Participant

Forgot to mention.. there is no good answer in the poll question, so I didn’t vote. I consider XP to be a real operating system. Running Win7 here on my laptop. It is a real operating system also.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.