7 June 14 – Apple's Looking to Kill a Lot of Competing Products

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 7 June 14 – Apple's Looking to Kill a Lot of Competing Products

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Christian Christian 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

This week’s Word Wide Developers Conference saw Apple introduce a lot of products and services that compete with existing stuff.

How much of an impact do you think that will have on things?

HotDawg
    Participant

Well, I’m not an Apple fan, so maybe my comments don’t really mean much. From what I’ve sensed, it looks like Apple is playing catch-up with some of the competition.

But, for those that insist that Apple must be good, it would be nice if they put some effort into reducing their prices. But that would be counterproductive because there are some that insist that Apple must be good because of the prices their products carry.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

I think Apple is on its way back to being the company they were before the introduction of the iPod; one that makes well-engineered, expensive products for a niche market.

Racerbob
    Participant

I am a big fan of NY State apples. Cortland, Empire, etc.

Annoyed
    Participant

Apple wants to be the most expensive thing on the shelf, some sort of snob appeal type thing.

RChandra
    Participant

I hardly think Apple has too small a market share to matter. What’s even more startling to me is, I saw a story this past week saying Apple wants to remove/eliminate the headphone jack on their iDevices. This would mean exclusively either Bluetooth or Lightning headphones/headsets. Sorry, that’s just dumb. It means headphones require power, such as a battery. Normal, passive headphones will operate all day and night long because they don’t need a battery or power cord of any sort. This is going to do just the opposite of killing competition, it’ll encourage people to buy competing products which still have a “normal” jack.

References:

Google+ post by Eric Raymond

article in Forbes online to which Raymond links

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by  RChandra. Reason: added reference links

ScreenScream
    Participant

They went after the rounded-corner rectangle.

If they go after squares and circles I might get a little concerned.

WayneHen
    Participant

When they can’t innovate I’ms sure they will resort to litigating. As someone locally famous who used to say. 🙂

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/06/apples-last-ditch-effort-to-dodge-a-368m-patent-verdict-has-backfired/

Apple has been aggressively suing others (and winning) for patent infringement for years, so I don’t feel the least bit bad for them here. They need to get taken down a notch.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.