7 Feb 15 – FCC Chairman tells ISPs they are public utilities

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 7 Feb 15 – FCC Chairman tells ISPs they are public utilities

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  RChandra 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

If this goes through, could be great for us! Of course, this is the government, so they’ll figure out a way to screw it up.

gmd3006
    Participant

This is the same gov’t that brought us health care “reform”?
    And sub-prime lending?
    No, thanx!

Racerbob
    Participant

So one thing that comes to mind…are they going to start charging me by the number of gigs we use per month instead of a set rate ?

ScreenScream
    Participant

Nick, you nailed it. I’m an American, so I’m pro-minimal government, a “necessary evil.”

Problem is, regulation is often necessary due to stupid people and stupid greed.

Then “problem is,” it’s government; they are proven to be the worst business managers on the planet, proven to be the most corrupt organization there ever was (at least documented corruption) and now this.

The MO will go the usual route; it’ll be a good thing until they screw it up…and we KNOW they will.

RChandra
    Participant

If you like your Internet service, you can KEEP your Internet service. It’ll save the average American $2500 per year.

In order for competition to happen, thereby due to market forces increasing service levels and decreasing prices, something has to be done to break the telco/cableco oligopoly. Perhaps Title II is the answer, but probably lighter legislation would be better (Title II lite?). Recent court history tells us that attempts at lighter regulation failed because the incumbents just argued the FCC rules were unlawful, so Wheeler seems to NEED to break out the Title II sledgehammer. It’s the (far) easier option between using existing law and getting Congress to pass new legislation and have the President sign it. So it’s the former which is easier, but potentially the latter which is better overall.

All the poll options are such good sentiments! One of the biggest factors is, is this going to cost me more or less? I would HOPE less. It is about danged time we did something about the lack of affordably priced competition, even if that means forcing the incumbents to share their infrastructure. But ultimately, I chose that this is a slippery slope, because although the concepts of the PPACA sounded darned good, the majority of people found the implementation details to be nothing at all like the promises made, with deductibles raised and premiums increased making it the antithesis of “affordable” for so many folks. Yes, for a FEW people, their lot improved, but the majority of cases I have heard about got worse after governmemt mucked about with health insurance.

So in conclusion, it’s unlikely service and prices will improve without government intervention, but I remain highly skeptical government will do the right things to help us. It’s a very slippery slope indeed.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.