5 Mar 16 – Billboards can track your location

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 5 Mar 16 – Billboards can track your location

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Christian Christian 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

How delightful! Do you care? If so, why?

HotDawg
    Participant

Sure I care — but it won’t help. I’m being tracked by untold methods already. Look at the number of ‘legitimate’ license plate scanners out there — and probably there are many more. My EZ-Pass thing is being used in NYC for monitoring traffic patters. I’ve heard the tire pressure sensors in cars can (or are) being used for that, also.

What about the facial recognition software that can pick me out of a crowd at Times Square during a New Year’s gathering? Many of the apps on smart phones tell you what info they may access on your phone, and much of it has nothing to do with the app. Why?

Lets not even get into RFID tags and what they can be used for. Got a NY enhanced driver’s license? Who reads that, and from how far?

Billboards: Welcome to the crowd!

ScreenScream
    Participant

Let it track my middle finger.

There was a news item this past week that discussed a woman that came into the ER asking that her tracking device be taken out of her.

As she was being considered for psychiatric evaluation, the doctors did take the time to analyze the incision area where she insisted her tracking chip was, you know, the one the aliens put in her so they could find her, take her genetic material and make her alien hybrid babies on a space ship, etc, etc.

Problem: She actually did have an rfid chip in her. The staff and doctors were completely shocked.

Turns out she was a victim of human trafficking. Her pimp embedded a chip in her to keep tabs on where she was, along with the rest of his ladies.

A better example from a dear friend of mine, loosely related:

She lives out in California, I talk to her several times a year. She was recently robbed in the street; guy jumps out of the bushes, the whole drill, just like a bad B movie. Took her purse and ran after a confrontation where my friend used a little martial arts to get him away.

A dreadful story to hear when you’re concerned about your lady friend from afar.

The catch: Her purse had her phone in it.

She got on her tablet which she had with her school books in her other hand. Found her phone on the display. Called the police, and told them where the dip shixct was who took her purse, as she watched him move on her tablet.

Half an hour later the cops called her and asked her if they could pick her up to take her to a location to identify him.

She was driven to a location of another cop car…watched the bastard get out of his cop car in handcuffs…watched as his eyes met hers when she got out of HER cop car…and his face immediately went to pure dread.

Turns out he was a repeat offender, out of jail for the third time. Prosecutor asked if she’d testify, she said yes, and said they’ll be putting him away for at least ten years this time.

God I hate technology.

God I love technology.

RChandra
    Participant

I hate oligopolies. Yet I don’t know what the fix is. Cellular carriers spend a king’s treasure to build out cell towers/sites, and all of them must basically share the limited resource that is available radio spectrum. Therefore, nationally, you have the big two, Verizon Wireless and AT&T Mobility, and to a lesser extent but still doing fairly well, T-Mobile USA and Sprint/Softbank. That’s SOME choice, but not a heckuva lot. Plus you MIGHT have some regionals (MetroPCS comes to mind), but if you travel much beyond your home, you’ll have to roam on one of the big four, and there’s no guarantee your regional has roaming agreements with ANY of the nationals.

All this is to say, if you don’t like AT&T Mobility’s selling of your whereabouts (if only in aggregate) to iHeartMedia, what are you going to do? Bring your business to Verizon Wireless? But if you do that, you could have carrier-inserted supercookies.

Much as I wish market forces could stop such practices, it’s impractical to think we can simply vote with our wallets. It seems the allure of alternate cash streams is just too great for any of the carriers to resist. Then what do we need to do, pass laws making this opt-in? The carriers’ lobbyists will lean on lawmakers not to do that.

Sigh.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  RChandra.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  RChandra.

Larry
    Participant

There are some advantages to driving a 1999 car. But, still.. R Chandra makes good points!!

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

Billboard tracking requires a cellphone, so if you don’t have one of those or if it’s off…

Don’t worry though, the data your cell company is selling the billboard company is “anonymized” so your identity is protected 🙂
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2009/09/your-secrets-live-online-in-databases-of-ruin/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.