4 July 15 – Windows 10 Upgraded in Waves

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 4 July 15 – Windows 10 Upgraded in Waves

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  RChandra 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

You may not get yours on the 29th. Good luck!

Racerbob
    Participant

That’s ok Nick. I am in no hurry. 🙂

HotDawg
    Participant

I have one Win 7 machine that I might consider upgrading, but it hasn’t been offered the upgrade reservation yet. And neither has another Win 7 box. nor a Win 7 laptop.

Two machines with win 8.1 have received the update offer.

The primary Win 7 machine here has a checkered past. It originally ran XP, then was upgraded to Win 7 Home thru the Microsoft ‘family pack’ upgrade. After that I made a further upgrade to Win 7 Pro using the Windows Anytime upgrade. Both those upgrades were purchased at one of the local warehouse clubs.

When I ran into wanting to do a re-install of the Win 7 Pro, I found it was about impossible, since I don’t have a CD ROM that will install using any of the product keys I have.

I did download, from Microsoft, a CD ROM that would match what I was running, but the product key I have for each version of software wouldn’t work with that (since they were upgrades).

An email to Microsoft assured me I should have no problem, and gave me a phone number to call where their support people would lead me thru the process. That process would start with me purchasing (for money) a new product key — which I refused since I felt I had already paid for what I had. And, they made the comment on that that if I had purchased these upgrades direct from Microsoft, things would be different — but my gripe should be with the people that had sold me the Microsoft upgrades.

Possibly Microsoft is looking now at the installation that I have as not being legitimate.

I don’t know if the upgrade to Win 10 will give the user a new product key, and how that would have to be used should a reload be necessary. Seems like the hole I dig keeps getting deeper.

I have been playing with the Win 10, and feel I could migrate to it — altho Win 7 really seems to cover what I need.

So, I’m not in a real hurry — and if I miss the July 29th wave, so what?

RChandra
    Participant

nothing new to Android users; OTA version updates have always been staggered. I’ve always been lagged by about 3 weeks.

ScreenScream
    Participant

No way, I’ll wait. Let everyone else deal with the bugs.

P.S. Today is our “Happy Independence-from-Time-Warner” Day. We stopped both our cable and internet with Time Warner today, the former after 30+ years with them.

We were sick of paying $170+ monthly for watching a dozen channels max.

And we are VERY happy with our new DSL for one-third the price and as fast…if not FASTER…internet speed. What a waste of money we’ve been making on the internet alone for the past who-knows-how-many years.

We are a proud part of the mass cable-cutting exodus.

Happy 4th everyone.

Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

HotDawg: You should get the upgrade even if Microsoft considers you “illegitimate,” because they’ve already said they’re upgrading everybody. You’re just probably way back in the queue. And this is why I don’t buy from the Big Box stores.

RChandra
    Participant

…or use this “Microsoft harrassment” as the impetus to give Linux a try. See if any applications which you run which are not listed at alternativeto.net can be run under Wine. If not, sure, stay with Windows, but otherwise, enjoy the freedom.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.