4 Feb 17 – Time Warner Cable deceived the FCC in speed tests

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 4 Feb 17 – Time Warner Cable deceived the FCC in speed tests

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  HotDawg 2 days, 16 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

You can read much more about it on Stop the Cap.

HotDawg
    Participant

So, what’s new? When I had Frontier DSL, I was paying for 10 Mbs speeds, and was receiving only 3. According to Frontier, the modem I had was capable of just over 8 — and at one time I was seeing speeds approaching that. But then, “Judy” in their technical services told me they had everyone in the Rochester area provisioned for 3.6, and that wasn’t going to change. Same story, no?

Racerbob
    Participant

Excellent speed here at all times of the day and believe me, I do speed test at various sites. On a 30/5 plan right now and I typically test at 36 to 37 down and 6 to 7 up because some time ago, TW over-provisioned the connections. Anxiously awaiting Spectrum plans to be introduced. I am hearing that this may take place on 2/21 or close to that date. We will be seeing 60/4 or 60/5 for the same price that is offered now for 15 Mbps service. $59.99 a month.

Speedtest

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Racerbob.

RChandra
    Participant

When I was a TWC customer (switched to FiOS March 2015), the speeds were about as advertised, both upstream and downstream, most of the time, according to various speed tests (not just one or two). It’s (relatively) easy for them to prioritize traffic with popular speedtest sites (speedtest.net for example). So it’s easy for the ISPs to game the system.

Now that I have FiOS (which is not cable, the focus of the question and the AG lawsuit), the downstream is usually within a Mbit/s of the advertised 25, and upstream is usually a couple of Mbit/s over.

HotDawg
    Participant

Racerbob: Feb 21 has come and gone. My speeds remain the same as before. On the 20th (I think) they gave me a new IP address and now sites think I am in Webster.

Where did you hear they were going to be making that upgrade? I can’t track that down.

Racerbob
    Participant

The date now is being pushed out until at least 3/14 to 3/18 and maybe farther. My info comes from posts by Phil Dampier and others here :

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30555614-TWC-TWC-Maxx-Heads-to-Northeast-Midwest-in-2016

There are many pages in this thread. Also, your speeds will not change automatically. You will need to request a change to a Spectrum plan.

I was also told by a CSR at the Webster TW store that the complete Spectrum conversion may not happen until April.

HotDawg
    Participant

Thanks for that link, RacerBob. A lot of interesting reading there! I’ve been receiving (as many have) the sales pitches for Spectrum. I finally got hold of one of their agents yesterday, and she spent a lot of time with me. I switched from being a TWC customer over to being a Spectrum customer.

All along, they considered me as being an existing customer, and as such did not qualify for the teaser rates being pushed for new customers. And, with those, you really need to read the fine print and follow the asterisks! However, actually what they did in my case, since I was just into my final year of promotional pricing with TWC, they gave me service at a promotional rate for the next year.

Basically I downgraded my TV package from the 200+ channels I had to their 125+ channel package, which is fine with me. I still get far more channels than I can watch, and honestly, with my outdoor antenna I could survive without any from them! On the other side of the coin, my internet speeds have gone up considerably. I am seeing now about a 72 Mb download speed. And, with these changes, my monthly bill will be less than I was paying.

The only hitch I ran into was when they reinitialized my modem for the higher speeds, they killed both it, and the phone modem, and without anything with a cell phone I was sort of out of business until I could have my daughter get to them and have that straightened out.

Racerbob
    Participant

Why oh why oh why can I not see the post I made just below HotDawg’s latest post ? Lets see if this one shows up. I see that Racerbob made the last post in this thread, but when I go to view it, I do not see it. Lets see about this one.

Racerbob
    Participant

This board is acting goofy tonight.

I switched totally over to Spectrum last Friday. I did have the 30/5 internet speed from Time Warner and for our TV needs we used DirecTV.

I went into the Webster,NY Spectrum store and dealt face to face with one of the salesmen there. I subscribed to the Silver Level package which gives us 175 channels, and a DVR. I also got a regular cable box for the bedroom TV for $4.99 more a month. I have one of their modems now as there is no more modem fee and their modem is newer and better than the one that I own and was using here. So the package includes the 60/5 internet and a phone (which we will probably never use). I had some time left on my DirecTV contract and Spectrum is sending me a check for the cancellation penalty fee. (less than $100)

So we are paying $129 and change a month now for a year. I was told that this price would go up around $30 after a year. (at current retail rates) Our previous monthly expense was approaching $190 for the 30/5 internet (we were still in a promo for that at $49.99 a month) and DirecTV. We had no extras with DirecTV. 2 boxes for two TV’s. What I like about the new Spectrum TV package is that the Silver and Gold level includes premium movie channels. Silver and Gold both have all of the HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime channels and the Gold level adds Starz to that lineup and some other channels. The 175 channel lineup for us is perfect.

Now then,setting all of this up properly did take some of my time and effort to get things right. I had to make a few calls to Spectrum, but all is well now. I am seeing good speed. It isn’t Greenlight, but this will suffice for now as I wait for them to get the signups that they need in my neighborhood. They have my deposit. 🙂

HotDawg
    Participant

RacerBob: All your posts came thru on the RSS feed, but I only see 2 of them here.

HotDawg
    Participant

Well, I’m paying more than you. But, I was in the final year of my promotional pricing with TW. If I understood it correctly, whatever year of promotional pricing you were in with RW, then they were sliding you into the same year with Spectrum.

I don’t understand why you are paying more for that second TV. Even with TW, they have been giving out boxes at no charge for awhile, since they had been sliding a few channels over to digital.

Racerbob
    Participant

Well I originally did the deal with only the DVR box for the living room. I tried the Spectrum app on the smart TV in the bedroom and although it seemed to work ok, channel changing was awkward. I have yet to embrace my smart TV’s. That may not be too smart… LOL.

I made a return visit to the store and asked about the second box and was told the price. But all is really good. I am a happy camper at this time.

HotDawg
    Participant

If this is your first experience with their DVR, you probably will be pleased. It doesn’t come up to what I had from the Dish network, but still not bad. Remember you can add an external HD (eSATA) and get much more storage. I am running with a 1 TB drive, and I think you can go up to a 2 TB. But, maybe your model is different than mine — mine is the 8300HD.

Currently here the TV in the bedroom is not a smart thing — but does have the digital tuner in it. I just run the cable into it direct, and get far more channels than I need. If they ever go to encrypting all channels, that will get switched over to the over-the-air antenna.

Racerbob
    Participant

The DVR I have can record up to 6 shows at once. I tested it already. It had been assumed by many that Spectrum would not allow more than two shows to be recorded at once. But I can not imagine any situation that would cause me to record 6 shows at a time. I am not all that nuts about TV. This DVR has the name brand of Technicolor on it, but it is a Cisco DVR. Here is a thread to read about that…

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31313212-Technicolor-9865-apparently-records-6-shows-at-a-time

HotDawg
    Participant

I guess in many markets Spectrum isn’t handling those DVRs. I think they are what was termed a “whole house” DVR, where you could access it from all your TVs. That is why the 6 tuners. I have run into a couple instances where with mine 2 recordings would be taking place at the same time, and the lack of a third tuner kept me from watching something else. And, then at other times, it sure acts like it has 3 tuners.

I will check your link out. Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.