28 May 16 Have you been caught by an unexpected Windows 10 install?

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 28 May 16 Have you been caught by an unexpected Windows 10 install?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Racerbob 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

If you haven’t been hit already, they’re a-comin’!

Racerbob
    Participant

A friend at work claims that he did get caught. He rolled his laptop back to Windows 7 and then he installed Never10 on my advice to do so. I also have Never10 on my Windows 7 Pro computer. Works great !

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

ScreenScream
    Participant

Can’t believe you guys are covering this, I almost called about it last week. Yeah, I got hit about three weeks ago, but I assumed that I accidently set it off when the 10 window prompt showed up like it always does, and perhaps hit “return” by accident when I was in a text document, triggering the download.

So it actually was NOT me. They were actually, actively, trying to FORCE it in my system.

Those bastards. I won’t write what I REALLY want to say.

I had to manually shut down my damn computer. I didn’t know what else to do, even tried the task manager, couldn’t figure it out, so I had to push the dreaded button to get it to stop.

On start up, I don’t recall what rig-a-ma-roll I executed, but it was a royal pain-in-the-a** to reverse what was happening…and I finally did.

It hasn’t bothered me since, but I am P*SSED. I’m back to having that annoying 10 icon in the lower right of the task bar wanting to load itself.

Please discuss the above Never10 if ya get the chance today guys; I’m not going to download it now, but I’ve seen Racerbob here plenty of times and tend to think it’s prolly a trusted solution.

Thanks.

P.S. Eff you Gates. (OOOPS! Sorry…It really was necessary for cathartic therapeutic reasons…)

HotDawg
    Participant

My experiences:

I have a couple computers with Win 7 on them, and a couple with 8.1. Two of those machine (one 7, one 8.1) I had let update to Win 10, and quickly rolled back. A couple problems with doing that, but not anything serious.

Where I could, I hid the update that would install 10, and also was able to hide the stupid icon from the task bar. It looked like all was good.

Then, one 8.1 machine would have an update showing that I could not hide (greyed out) — but it said it had to be updated from the desktop.

Then I found out about Never10, and ran it on all the machines. It did offer to remove the downloaded update files (which I let it do). Looked like I was safe from MS tampering with my computer. But, I turned off all automatic installing of updates to be somewhat safer.

Now that one 8.1 machine has an update showing that will install 10 if I click on it. Says it is ready to install, so I assume it thinks all the files have been downloaded. But, Never10 says I have disabled the install, and doesn’t show any files it might remove for me.

In one of the other Microsoft updates have they overridden what Never10 does?

Bonus question: When the free updates end (in July?) will they still be forcing updates? Or will that end this hacking into my system.

Linux really is looking good. I run a couple installations of Slackware, and a couple of Ubuntu. The Ubuntu is a nice user-friendly distribution. The Slackware really assumes you are familiar with things — but is a solid, stable operating system.

Racerbob
    Participant

Never10 can be totally trusted. I would never post anything here that was not legit.

HotDawg
    Participant

I’ll second that. Steve Gibson (who authored Never10) is really sharp and has lots of good things at http://grc.com.

However, I wonder if Microsoft is now ignoring what it does? It simply adds (from what I understand) the registry hack that Microsoft published to prevent Win 10 updates. Maybe MS has decided time to ignore those registry settings?

I have all my automatic updates turned off — but even at that now I look carefully at what they say an update does, as well as the size. Sorry, I have lost trust in them.

Racerbob
    Participant

I monitor my Windows updates very carefully and since I enabled Never10 I have seen no attempt by Microsoft to update my system to Windows 10.

Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

So, what will you do at the end of this month? Keep Windows 7, knowing you’re falling behind fast, or move to 10? Or buy a Chromebook or go to Linux or a Mac or…

Racerbob
    Participant

I have already had Windows 10 Pro on this tower. I have it on a flash drive ready to install again some day. To tell the truth, I just missed Windows 7. This tower was purchased new just before Christmas and came with Windows 7 Pro.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.