27 Dec 14 – Apple updated OS X behind my back!

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 27 Dec 14 – Apple updated OS X behind my back!

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Racerbob 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

Good or bad thing?

HotDawg
    Participant

While I’m not an Apple user, I know how irritated I get when Micros**t does an update and then decides to reboot my computer without my specific permission. Almost wants me to turn off the automatic updates so I can control the computer I think I still own.

Racerbob
    Participant

So turn off automatic updates and check periodically for new updates yourself. Typically Microsoft releases updates on Tuesdays. So remembering to check for updates on Tuesdays would be the thing to do.

“Patch Tuesday occurs on the second, and sometimes fourth, Tuesday of each month in North America.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_Tuesday

As far as continuous Apple poll questions here ? I will refrain from commenting.

HotDawg
    Participant

Sure, you can turn off the automatic updates to dance around that problem. But, having it turned on, they take place when most people are asleep, and shouldn’t be obnoxious.

Maybe I have been spoiled by Ubuntu and when they update things, they might advise you to do a reboot, but never force it. MS, on the other hand, seems to think they need to restart the computer for even trivial updates — and if you refuse it, in 10 minutes you get another message they are going to restart it, all over again.

Seems like maybe they have improved this in Win 8, where I think they advise you they will be restarting in a day or so.

Racerbob
    Participant

Well I am back on Windows 7 here. Actually, my Windows Update is set the “Check for updates, but let me choose whether to download and install them”. I will not allow Microsoft to randomly install updates on my machine.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.