25 Mar 17 – Congress Moves to Strike Internet Privacy Rule

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 25 Mar 17 – Congress Moves to Strike Internet Privacy Rule

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Steve Rea Steve Rea 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

The Senate has voted, the House is expected to go along next week, then it goes to Trump for a signature.

Once that’s done, ISPs will not need to ask your permission to gather your data, including locations. Including your kids’ locations. And they can sell it to anybody they like.

Also, and I quote, “An individual’s data collected by these companies also does not need to be secured with ‘reasonable measures’ against hackers.”

Christian
    Participant

Including your kids’ locations.

This sounds familiar.

I’m assuming you’re referring to cell phone locations. That wouldn’t apply since mobile carriers were always except from these privacy rules. If you’re talking about online activity like searches, social networks, etc., then ISPs don’t even have this data due to almost every website using HTTPS. For example, they can see that I’m connecting to Facebook but can’t see anything beyond that. They can see I’m connected to Google, but can’t see what I’ve searched for.

I’m not happy about this news but there’s a dozen or more companies that have access to the same data such as Google, Facebook and any one whose app you’ve installed. For a long time we’ve been promoting the convenience of cloud services, so it seems a bit silly to get worked up about this. People prefer convenience over privacy. Privacy will never be convenient because it runs counter to the business model of cloud services, especially free ones.

For those willing to jump through a few hoops, I suggest a VPN service. This will disrupt any data collection attempts by ISPs, and they’re very inexpensive. The website TorrentFreak did a nice review of some of the more popular ones. I use PIA.

“An individual’s data collected by these companies also does not need to be secured with ‘reasonable measures’ against hackers.”

There are no specific legally mandated computer security measures for anyone so the point is immaterial.

(random text because I’m getting a duplicate reply error)

Steve Rea
    Steve Rea
    Keymaster

Joy of Tech:
    Selling your Browser History

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by Steve Rea Steve Rea.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.