25 Feb 17 – Google Discovered Massive Web Leak

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 25 Feb 17 – Google Discovered Massive Web Leak

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Christian Christian 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

And potentially millions of people have other people’s data sitting on their hard drives.

HotDawg
    Participant

I guess if you are going to use any of the cloud-based services it’s in your best interest to make sure everything is encrypted before it leaves your computer.

I run my backups on to my own “cloud” server. While it doesn’t protect me from some local disaster, at least I have some control over the access to it. I own the powercord 🙂

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/24/cloudbleed_buffer_overflow_bug_spaffs_personal_data/

Simple C programming error causes buffer overflow, again. Many of Cloudflare’s customers are e-commerce sites so you wouldn’t really have a choice how securely the data is stored. Using HTTPS didn’t help because the data leaked from RAM and got inserted into random website traffic. Is there a list of Cloudflare’s affected customers? All I could find is the same three websites mentioned in most articles. Maybe many are still unsure themselves. That’s a lot of passwords to have to change.

Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

RChandra
    Participant

I guess soundbytes.org is not really affected. It just occurred to me that this domain isn’t served up over HTTPS anyway. If one tries, a cert for “connorpeoples.com” is served (so does not validate). Eh…changed my SoundBytes.org password anyway, even though someone could snoop on the traffic if they wished.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

Thanks, Nick! I’ve already found a couple sites that may affect me.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.