24 December 16 – Firefox Preps Multiprocessing

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 24 December 16 – Firefox Preps Multiprocessing

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  RChandra 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

Still using Firefox?

Racerbob
    Participant

Nope. And Firefox was my main browser for many years. My browsers of choice these days are Chrome 64bit, Opera 64bit, Slimjet 64bit , and I am also playing with Vivaldi. But what is in common with all of these browsers is that they are built on the Chromium platform and they are fast. Certainly faster than Firefox.

I will try the new Firefox beta when this new one comes out.

HotDawg
    Participant

I still have Firefox — in fact it is still my default browser. That is mostly out of inertia. I have primarily Chrome as the alternate browser, plus have played with others a bit.

I find Firefox is the best for some web sites, and the Chrome is better for others. And, if you use Tor, it really is locked into Firefox (I think) for it’s browser.

It will be interesting to see how Firefox develops. They used to be good — then tried to do all things for all people. Different people have different needs, and I don’t think there ever will be one best browser. We have decided there is one worst browser (well, two now) and I have the Microsoft ones on that list here.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

Isn’t it called Foxfire? 🙂

Love the lynx mention. I still use it sometimes when I need to check that my sites are accessible through a firewall.

Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

I use it all the time to make sure my sites are ADA compliant.

RChandra
    Participant

I still use mainly Firefox I guess chiefly because of time invested in acquiring and configuring extensions. For the set I have, I do not know if all of them have equivalents in Chrome. If a page does not seem to render or function correctly in FF, I will try it in Chrome. And I have only a few extensions in Chrome, the majority of which are in-browser Google services (Hangouts, Sheets, Keep, etc.) so has minimal “interference.”

Firefox also seems to be the only major browser which doesn’t insist on being cutesy with fading, zooming, sliding, etc. animation. Or at least there is no animation with Classic Theme Restorer installed. (Yes, like MS Windows 8, Australis was a terrible mistake.) Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi, etc. all insist that plain menus and such are stupid and every last damned thing MUST be animated. And that is just one of my pet peeves, annoying me to no end. I don’t care how quick the animation is, if it is even perceptible, it is a waste of time and CPU/GPU, and therefore electricity.

This change in architecture to multiprocess ought to be interesting. Hopefully this will improve security and stability due to isolation. I also hope there is a preference to use threading or processes, even if it’s only an about:config entry, in case one of the extensions doesn’t work with the new model.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 4 weeks ago by  RChandra.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.