23 Jul 16 – Do You Own a Chromebook?

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 23 Jul 16 – Do You Own a Chromebook?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Racerbob 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

They’re gaining in popularity – do you own one? Thinking about one? Why, or why not?

Christian
    Participant

The added stability of the closed platform is good for simple tasks but I prefer the flexibility of a traditional OS.

I would recommend one to others though. My grandfather got one a year ago and seems to like it.

Racerbob
    Participant

Trying to come up with a real reason to get one. Nope, can’t really think of one at this time. Also, Google refuses to offer me browser features that I want, so my full time “go to” browser is the wonderful Slimjet browser. And I highly doubt that Slimjet can be installed on a Chromebook ? Or can it.

ScreenScream
    Participant

I do a lot of video editing, assuming these things just can’t handle the work I need to do, else I’d just get one.

Christian
    Participant

You could install Slimjet on a Chromebook, but you’d have to first install Windows or proper Linux.

The hardware should be powerful enough for video editing, at least on the Intel Chromebooks. I mean, we’ve been doing non-linear video editing for how many decades now? There are a couple of native video editing apps, or you could install something else by adding a secondary OS.

But the Chromebook is designed around using Google apps for everything, so if that’s not your preference, it’s like buying engine mods for your Prius. You should just get a different car.

Racerbob
    Participant

Yes Christian, I think that I shall just keep driving my Dell desktop and trusty Toshiba laptop. But Slimjet rocks. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.