23 Aug 14 Microsoft Update Caused Blue Screen of Death

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 23 Aug 14 Microsoft Update Caused Blue Screen of Death

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Racerbob 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

Yep… It did. But only for Windows 7 64 bit users, so there’s that…

Christian
    Participant

Some more information here including the update numbers and how to remove them if they’re already installed (you’ll need a bootable CD since even safe mode is affected).

Microsoft has disabled downloading of the problematic updates so you don’t need to worry about getting them if you haven’t already.

ScreenScream
    Participant

I picked “Windows XP Forever!” just because it was so entertaining…;) Good to have you back Nick. 🙂

I’ll listen to the show to find out what happened. It sounds scary as heck. Blue screens = Fear and Loathing.

ScreenScream
    Participant

P.S. If you guys can cover it…Malewarebytes is apparently no longer free? I did an update recently after a while of not having done so, to discover that apparently they are forcing people to pay now to execute scans, etc……?

That would be a huge bummer.

And if so, is there any other freeware. I’m not a cheapskate, I’m just extremely poor!

Christian
    Participant

Also, the update they’re telling people to remove patched a security hole. Looks like you get to choose between a secure system (at least to the extend that’s possible with Windows) or receive the occasional BSOD.

ScreenScream
    Participant

Sorry about your loss Dave, just heard. Best to you and yours.

Dan Warren
    Participant

Malwarebytes will scan, but won’t let you update unless you pay. I’ve removed it from y system.

Racerbob
    Participant

Wait. What ? The free version of Malwarebytes WILL get new definition updates. The free version does not run real time protection. Also, pay attention when you install Malwarebytes Free version and opt out of the free pro trial when you do install ! In the free version you have to manually get updates from within the program. In the pro version, updates are automatic. I would not be caught without Malwarebytes on any of my systems and I am running the Pro (grandfathered in for life from version 2.0) version on every computer I own.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.