21 Feb 15 – Do you own a recent Lenovo computer?

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 21 Feb 15 – Do you own a recent Lenovo computer?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Christian Christian 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

Seriously, Lenovo?

ScreenScream
    Participant

Seriously, Nick?

…a poll regarding Lenovo, but no article/news item to be found anywhere, not on soundbytes nor in a search.

So I didn’t vote in the poll cuz I have no idea what you’re talking about, I have low blood sugar right now, and am frustrated and disappointed that this issue has totally ruined not only my Friday night, but what WAS a really great week.

Thanks guys.

;p

(P.S. I almost bought a Lenovo a mere one month ago…”this close” to buying one, seriously.)

HotDawg
    Participant

Well, I saw on one of the news feeds earlier tonight that Lenovo computers were being shipped with some type of very serious malware on them that essentially made everything that was done on the computer available over the internet.

And, there was also something about a security certificate already installed that made other security certificates useless — you could connect to any site securely, even if it’s certificate wasn’t legitimate.

Apparently, for a personal computer, all your emails, banking information, and everything else could be compromised — for computers used in the corporate world, it opened doors into everything on the companies computer.

IIRC, the malware had something like Silverfish, or Silvertail, or something along that line. Sorry, I don’t remember just where I read it now.

Racerbob
    Participant

Based on Nick’s comment alone, I would not be able to vote. But thanks to Hot Dawg’s reply, I think that I shall vote “Nope, Thank Goodness”.

HotDawg
    Participant

A bit more information. A search using your favorite search thing using [ LENOVO SILVERFISH ] (without the square brackets) will bring up plenty of information.

That malware was apparently only installed on their laptops, and they now have a removal tool to help remove it.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

I’m going to abstain. I don’t own one but I think they’re still good computers, hardware wise. If they fix their mistake and come clean, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy from them in the future.

ScreenScream
    Participant

Thanks HotDawg.

Interestingly, I know they are very popular in poorer countries overseas. Everyone owns the brand in parts of Asia. REAL glad I didn’t just buy one, I was so darn close, it had most of the features I really wanted and many models still had Win 7, which was a must.

Thanks again. 🙂

Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

In general, my assumption is that people won’t vote until after I’ve read the news article on the air and we’ve had some time to discuss the ramifications. I put it up early because I don’t really have time in the morning, but I don’t expect anyone but me to vote until Saturday.

Racerbob
    Participant

Nick, our assumption is that once the poll and a new thread is posted here that an explanation of the subject matter would be provided in that initial poll post. Seems that sometimes the few of us who still bother visiting this forum and have been Soundbytes followers and supporters for many, many years are not being given any consideration. I should not be expected to listen to the show every week to try to figure out what the poll question is all about. Just my opinion. Carry on.

Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

Yes, I can see that. Reasonable. I may not take all that amount of time every week, but that’s a reasonable assumption.

gmd3006
    Participant

I bought a Lenovo desktop after using a Lenovo at work. I find them to be great hardware. They’re the spin-off IBM PC division. But, after this, I doubt I’ll buy another.

Typical Chinese ethics, like when they sold plastic rice to Viet Nam. Or continued to put lead in paint on toys for kids. I don’t remember what poison they put in the dog treats.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  gmd3006.

gmd3006
    Participant

Racerbob, Remember that the show is MEMBER SUPPORTED, and you, as a member are being unsupportive.

Also, remember that Nick’s doing all this for us as a total VOLUNTEER, so please give him a break!!

Racerbob
    Participant

Think what you want. I have listened for the most part to this show since the 1370 AM days When a poll is posted in the board that we visit daily with a one word post that says “Lenovo”, I think that we as followers of this show and team deserve just a little bit more. Sorry, but I can’t listen to the show each week, but most weeks I do listen to at least a portion of it.

The Soundbytes forum used to be a large part of the Soundbytes communication network. Sadly, now it is not, but us old timers try hard to still come here and post and also help people. We also are in a sense “volunteers” here.

Thanks for the response Nick. I still think that you and the guys are an institution around this town and beyond and I have let as many of my friends and others know about Soundbytes from here to places such as New Zealand and beyond. Sorry if I come across as somewhat disagreeable at times.

Oh..please tell Dave that it is “Firefox” and not “Foxfire” ? LOL

Peace everyone and have a good day.

Racerbob
    Participant
    Christian
    Christian
    Participant

Great news, Racerbob.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.