20 Feb 16 Should the government be able to access your encrypted cell phone data

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 20 Feb 16 Should the government be able to access your encrypted cell phone data

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Christian 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

Big fight between Apple and the US Government. Weigh in!

HotDawg
    Participant

Wasn’t it the government that passed a law awhile back making it illegal to crack encryption and hack into cell phones?

Racerbob
    Participant

Very mixed feelings on this, BUT, I think that I am going to side with the government on this one. I was just reading a report this morning before I came here that there are upwards of 5,000 Europeans who have returned to countries in Europe that have been trained at terrorist camps in the Middle East. If anyone thinks that we do not have terrorists in this country just waiting for the opportunity to do something bad, then I have a bridge over the bay here in Webster that I will sell to you.

ScreenScream
    Participant

Racerbob: The govt uses fear constantly to breach the Bill of Rights. Although there is of course the possibility of terrorists as you claim, a cover story on a popular magazine this week (it may be Newsweek) is suggesting our biggest terrorist threat now are the “Sovereign Citizens” (domestic) type people (the Oregon mess).

(Which I disagree with, not a topic for here/now)

Point being, don’t ever allow fear to dictate what the govt is allowed to do. That’s their favorite go-to.

That said, I am not completely familiar with the story, but here’s the most common sense answer based on what I’ve heard:

Govt absolutely has zero right to learn and break the encryption. ZERO.

Should they have access to the *data* beyond the encryption? Of course, WITH a proper and lawful warrant (which based on my many run-ins with govt is rare) that is used solely to track national security issues relating to known terrorist cells.

And even then I’d insist the warrant be extremely specific to the exact information needed.

If govt wasn’t so incredibly, obnoxiously corrupt, this would of course not be an issue.

But since they are, and since they work SO hard to chisel away at the Bill of Rights, almost never enhancing people’s rights but instead attempting to take away rights, we have to be ever-vigilant and watch every, single, damn, thing, they, do.

As cordial as I could keep it Nick. Great restraint was exercised. GREAT restraint. đŸ˜‰

Christian
    Participant

Since your odds of being killed by a terrorist are lower than pretty much any other type of incident, I don’t think we have crossed that right-restricting threshold yet. There could be a lot of terrorists here, I’ve no clue. If so they’re really bad at it considering our security sucks, or maybe they changed their minds and decided they love America, I don’t know. I heard the TSA only finds 5% of knives or guns in there own internal tests. So even if we side with the government it warrants asking what we’re getting in return which in terms of real increased security is usually not much.

By fighting the order, Apple is simply saying there’s no way to bypass the security on the phone, i.e. that it doesn’t contain a backdoor. It amounts to a business decision. They have to claim this otherwise no one is going to trust their products. Maybe the FBI should get help from the Larry Flint of technology, John McAfee, who claims he will crack Apple’s phone or eat a shoe on live TV.

Christian
    Participant

Seems like someone at the health center botched things up by attempting to unlock the phone before handing it over to the FBI. They reset the password either on purpose or by accident. Had they not done so the phone would have automatically backed itself up to the cloud giving them easy access to the data.

Actually, the more I read about this, the FBI’s request isn’t as it’s being described. They just want Apple to disable the feature that wipes the phone after 10 incorrect password entries so they can attempt to brute force it. They are not asking for Apple to magically break the encryption. That the FBI has recommended tech companies to create backdoors in their products is a separate discussion. Here’s the actual order. It seems Apple’s statements are more for PR.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.