2 Jul 16 – Customer wins $10K judgment from Microsoft over unauthorized Windows

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 2 Jul 16 – Customer wins $10K judgment from Microsoft over unauthorized Windows

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Christian Christian 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

Pretty specific circumstances in this case, but should everybody sue Microsoft?

About Windows 10 auto-upgrades, I mean, not just in general…

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

Looks like she really did her homework. I think Microsoft will fight a lot harder on the next one though. I tried to find out what argument they put forth but couldn’t find it in any of the articles. I’d imagine they’d point to something in the Windows 7 and 8 EULAs.

HotDawg
    Participant

In this case, it was a business woman that had substantial losses (greater than $10,000) due to her messed up computer, and she sued in small-claims court. Essentially, Microsoft chose not to defend themselves (sending a clerk, not a lawyer, from a local Microsoft owned store).

But, being in business, you would think she should have been running a good backup often on her working system. Lightning, besides Microsoft, has been known to strike computers.

I wish people pushing Windows 10 would stop badmouthing Win 7 and saying it will be wide open to security risks. If I understand the limited support that Win 7 is now receiving, it still will be for security updates. Only thing being dropped as of now are program improvements. I seem to still be getting plenty of Win 7 updates.

ScreenScream
    Participant

She deserved more. And more would’ve at least had Billy boy more closely consider these kinds of tactics. Losing $10,000 for Microsoftpenis is like me losing a piece of used toilet paper. I’ll never miss it.

RChandra
    Participant

This is madness. Where are the backups? What if a power surge would have taken out that computer? I do like that Microsoft’s tactics are starting to have some sting though. $10K for a multibillion dollar company is a drop in the bucket.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  RChandra.
    Christian
    Christian
    Participant

I think she may have had a backup but couldn’t get the upgraded computer working again and didn’t have time to setup a new one with her specialized business software.

I agree HotDawg, let’s stop the Win 7 FUD. Security updates are what I consider normal support anyway. Sure you can’t call Microsoft, but who calls Microsoft directly? This lady apparently did, and we see how helpful that was.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.