2 Aug 14 – The Security of USB is Broken

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 2 Aug 14 – The Security of USB is Broken

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  HotDawg 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

Badly broken. Probably unfixable broken.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

http://www.wired.com/2014/07/usb-security/

Time to dust off those Iomega and Castlewood drives, and stock up on CR-RWs again 🙂

Is the problem really specific to USB, or is it just that USB is the most popular standard for portable devices (that may contain infected firmware)?

HotDawg
    Participant

I guess I would think that the firmware should be in read-only memory. After the USB device is sold and put into service, what reason would there be to update this part of the firmware?

Since we are talking probably about thumb drives primarily as something that gets swapped between computers — when has anyone ever had to update the firmware in one?

I this firmware is available to be read and written to by an operating system, then it would be just one more item for virus checking software to put in their list of things to check.

Because it is possible to create some virus to hide in USB firmware, that doesn’t mean it would be practical. There should be better targets for people who write malware.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.