19 Sept 15 – Would you prefer to pay for content or give up your ad blocker?

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 19 Sept 15 – Would you prefer to pay for content or give up your ad blocker?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  RChandra 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

Online content providers are losing money because we all use content blockers. Many are saying that they’ll have to give up ads and start charging for content. What’s your preference?

And, yes, Sound Bytes has ads (as do Ask Nick! and The Security Tango). We also get almost no money from ads, so you’re mostly all using ad blockers. So, what should Sound Bytes do? You block the ads, ludicrously few of you are members of Jazz 90.1… do you just assume everything in your life is free? What makes you so special? Because the message that content providers get from that is their content is worthless. If that’s true, why should we break our backs providing it?

Racerbob
    Participant

I will not pay for content. I pay the Time Warner gods enough each month for my internet and TV services. (and I am patiently waiting for my Greenlight ! )

So Nick, do you use an ad blocker when you surf the net ?

HotDawg
    Participant

Really, the people shoving ads at me must learn to do it in a way that I don’t need an ad blocker. There are many ads presented that I can view IF I want, or ignore otherwise. But the constant stream of pop-up ads that cover what I was viewing (and make me confirm that I want to kill them) really turn me off.

If I get a newspaper, or a magazine, there are plenty of ads I can check out. But, I don’t have to. The human brain is darn good at scanning printed material and picking out what what I might be interested in.

I can watch a TV show on the DVR and FF over the ads. Still, I am able to stop the FF and catch something of interest. (Lets me watch an hour show in 40 minutes!)

And, I’m cheap enough that I won’t pay for content. Most of what I have seen is very overpriced.

Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

Racerbob: Sometimes I do use an ad blocker, but there are a lot of sites for which I turn it off. Because I know that’s their major income stream. And just how does what you pay Time Warner have anything to do with Jazz 90.1?

HotDawg: Yes, much of it is overpriced. But what about places like Jazz 90.1, where you pick what it’s worth? Clearly, you think things like our show are not worth anything, but clearly you keep listening. Can you explain that?

ScreenScream
    Participant

Sheesh…first time I’ve seen tempers fly on soundbytes. This is getting ugly!

(And FUN!) 😉

I am absolutely ok with being exposed to advertising, as long as two things are in place: The ads are relevant to my interests, and more importantly, they do not slow down my load times and user experience.

My income level is “below poverty” according to the standards of measure, and always has been. I’m middle aged, have always had what most people consider the lowest-end jobs, and my car is getting hit with a $500 repair this week that is causing me enormous stress…I have no debt, for 15 years now, but $500 practically wipes out what little savings I have and will now officially impact my holiday spending, which is very upsetting. I scrape by with only what I need, and almost never get to spend money on fun things.

Pretty pathetic, I know, but there’s a sorry blast of truth for everyone. (And fwiw, I’ve always tried to climb out of the hole…never stopped trying).

Yet, when I traveled about 8 years ago, I purposely clicked on a yahoo ad, which took me to Travelocity, bought the tickets, and Yahoo made some money off my now 15 years of free service. I did so deliberately as a “thank you for this free service, Yahoo.”

I have been an on/off member of 90.1 ever since 1994 when I discovered them. My contributions are low, ($20 last time) but they are felt in my wallet big-time. I give because it’s the station I listen to 90% of the time, loving jazz and this show.

I am not with Time Warner because they are scum-baggy monopoly corrupt thieving shysters. (Oooooops! Can you print that??)

Lastly, youtube is getting really really bad with it. They are forcing those skip-able ads on almost every video watched now, BUT, a great many of them now are NOT skippable, AND, are ads I have absolutely ZERO interest in. The only reason why I even tolerate the endless insurance ads (I’ve been with the same carrier for 30 years, they’ve been great to me, so no-way will I leave them) is because some FEW of them are moderately entertaining.

SO:

Dear Advertisers,

I am absolutely PRO-ads. This is what makes our world of commerce go round and I understand/appreciate that. Just keep them relevant, don’t force them, and don’t slow down my internet experience…and ESPECIALLY don’t embed your clogging cookie crap on MY puter.

(Steps off soap box)

Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

ScreenScream: you’re absolutely right. I am edging toward incivility here, but this topic has always baffled me. Folks who tune in every week; folks who stop me in the streets to tell me how much they love our show; folks who pay a couple of hundred dollars a month to a cable company to be inundated with ads; these same people run ad blockers and never pony up for a Jazz 90.1 membership. I don’t understand it, and I try to. Again, I can only assume they feel our show is worthless, yet they keep tuning in. I don’t get it.

That said, I’ve always believed that folks in your situation get a free ride. No issues with that at all.

RChandra
    Participant

If ads were moderately sized in terms of byte count and static, I would likely not have a lot of anti-ad machinery in place. But the current state-of-the-apparent-art is that

1. a good number of them are distracting by being animated
    2. some of them are (as one poll answer says) autoplaying multimedia
    3. a lot of them are inserted by JavaScript, which makes the page shift around as I’m trying to read it

If there were a poll answer choice for “static only” I would have probably chosen that, but as is, I chose “is ‘neither’ a choice?” If you would like to include animated graphics as “media,” I guess I would have chosen “I’d like to block autoplay media files only” I also wouldn’t mind the skippable YouTube ads so much if it wasn’t that 98% of them were the father with the two daughters playing softball and holding tea parties.

LĂ©o Laporte often opines on this on “The Tech Guy” and likens using as blockers to stealing and implies that it’s immoral or unethical. I reply that I guess you don’t record any TV and skip past ads, and you also carefully read through every ad that’s USPS mailed to you. We all try to optimize our time by ignoring that which is irrelevant to us, but if you make it darn near impossible to do that, I don’t feel qualms about taking measures to preserve one of life’s precious commodities, time. After all, time is one of those things once spent it cannot be recovered. (That would require a TARDIS, I don’t have one, nor am I friends with anyone who has one.)

I am currently in a similar circumstance as ScreenScream; I have been without a job for many months. I have previously been a donor to WGMC (and to WBFO & WNED-FM as well), but since I do not know when my next income will be, I have been cautious about donating anything to anyone. (I have lived frugally, so I have substantial savings, so the finances aren’t anywhere near critical, but all the same…) When I’m employed again, I will donate generously to Sound Bytes/WGMC again, as well as one of my friends who does work for MS cure research (and usually sends a request every year).

(BTW…Why is there a note on this page saying comments are closed? I think I can post this comment.)

ScreenScream
    Participant

Nick…thanks for your feedback and support, and for the record, your feelings on it are completely understandable and justified.

Annoyed
    Participant

This is a problem that the advertising industry itself needs to address.
    People install ad blockers because the advertising on some sites is extremely overbearing and interferes with the content that you’re going there to see, sometimes to the point the content is unreadable.

Most people aren’t going to go to the trouble of selectively enabling/disabling a blocker on a site by site basis. They put one on to cope with the obnoxious sites, and all web site operators suffer.

If the industry expects to survive, they had best cooperate with each other and police themselves, limiting all web advertising to banner ads other static content which doesn’t interfere with the usage of the site.

If they don’t, blockers will continue and there will be more of them as time goes on. Site operators will stop buying advert. services, and the web advertising business will go away.

I have less then zero sympathy for advertisers; they are the cause of this, with their constant attempts to shove ads down our throats, up to and including poisoning the DNS system in order to deliver ads. (I run my own DNS server for the express purpose of avoiding DNS redirect ads)

Racerbob
    Participant

ScreenScream, apparently you were never a member of the old Soundbytes forum ? This discussion is nothing in comparison to some of the epic conversations that took place there. 🙂

RChandra, I hope that something breaks on the job situation soon !

Time Warner may not have anything to do with Soundbytes, but it has everything to do with part of my monthly expenses. And there is only so much $$$ to go around when you are driving (until very recently) a 17 year old and and 14 year old car around town. Now we have upgraded…6 year old car and a 10 year old car, but still no car payments.

Dump cable TV you say ? Nope. We do not go out much and I cannot remember the last movie we saw at the theater. I think it was one of the Oceans 11 or 12 movies. LOL So Time Warner cable stays as a necessary evil…at least until Greenlight actually does build in my neighborhood and I jump to DirecTV also.

I have set Adblock Plus to allow ads here now.

RChandra
    Participant

I agree with Annoyed. The advertisers, sometimes in conjunction with the Web page programmers in the quest for eyeball time, have heaped this upon themselves. While animation and multimedia might be more eye catching and therefore be more effective, that only works to a certain point. Then you start to peeve the very people you’re trying to convince to part with their money. Peeved people are reluctant to part with their money, especially to the people whodunnit. It’s a constant leapfrog; popups, popunders, Flash, JavaScript and DOM tricks; Popzilla, native popup blocking, FlashBlock, NoScript, Stylish/Scriptish.

Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

I understand the problem. I, too, run an ad blocker. But I turn it off for the smaller sites, because I also understand that that’s the only way they’re going to be paid for their hard work (unless they have a subscription), and I’m a person who believes people should be paid for the services they provide.

Different attitude, I guess.

Racerbob
    Participant

I often think to myself that ads really never influence my buying habits or preferences. And this is true. I do not run out and buy some product ever based on what I saw in an ad or commercial.

RChandra
    Participant

I can think of one specific instance of a Web ad working. I would probably not be spending 6 hours per week listening to “The Tech Guy” if I had not seen an ad for them on UStream, when SB used to stream there.

BTW, Nick, congrats on overcoming the physical and technical problems with streaming via Hangouts on Air. As I recall, the audio cable you had was somehow incompatible with the laptop you were using. You and Steve with Dave as a rectangular overlay is a good choice.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.