19 Dec 15 – Unpatched Outlook email is vulnerable

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 19 Dec 15 – Unpatched Outlook email is vulnerable

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Don 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

Sigh… yes, again.

RChandra
    Participant

I like Claws (where available) or Thunderbird.

To me, Microsoft is more like “look out!” than “Outlook.”

ScreenScream
    Participant

I’ve been loyal to Yahoo for over 15 years now. It’s been hard to be loyal over the past five, with more than several down times, frustrating format changes and other annoyances, but they’re still my comfort zone.

Will buy something from time to time from their ads to support them through all these years. I was one of the few not locked out of my accounts because I don’t use an ad-blocker, even tho I really-really-really want to.

Nothing to be proud of in using Yahoo, but they’re not bad either. Yahoo is also my homepage so I can access the news easily, and of course never miss their endless, incessant and extremely annoying coverage of the culture-destroying and teenaged-girl-brainwashing Kartrashian family.

Free email and worthless “news”; the number of hours wasted on both of which should never be counted.

What’s not to love.

Racerbob
    Participant

Thunderbird is my long time friend and it will hopefully stay my long time friend. I access 6 e-mail accounts through it. But hey now, Thunderbird gets security updates from Mozilla also. So once again, Microsoft gets singled out ?

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/known-vulnerabilities/thunderbird/#thunderbird38.4

HotDawg
    Participant

But Thunderbird only lists the vulnerabilities that have been patched — and that link only covers up to version 38.4. The version I run is at 42.0. What lurks there?

In this day and age there seems to be very little bug checking before new or revised packages are released. I guess the philosophy is to simply churn out things. The Microsoft C compiler I’m familiar with had an option to turn on buffer overrun checking at run time. But, it did add a little to the size of the code. We always used it, even in those days we were fighting code size byte-by-byte. Seems today most exploits are things running off the end of a buffer and getting into places in memory where they shouldn’t. My boss wanted code that was “bullet-proof”. He was the one that had to field customer complaints when anything went wrong.

Racerbob
    Participant

Version 42.0 is a beta. It contains the security updates that the stable version contains. Either way, all I am saying is that Thunderbird and other e mail programs are subject to threats in the same way Outlook is.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/42.0beta/releasenotes/

Don
    Participant

Using Office 2016. Outlook 2016 loads a little faster now

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.