18 Mar 17 – Microsoft Update Fixes Record Number of Flaws

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 18 Mar 17 – Microsoft Update Fixes Record Number of Flaws

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Larry 6 days, 15 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

How did your update go? Smoothly?

HotDawg
    Participant

Can’t say. Maybe the week before, right after an update, the computer developed a bad case of KSOD (blacK Screen Of Death). I’ve tried all the possible solutions I could find on the internet without being able to fix things.

One known cause are certain Microsoft updates — but how do I remove those (if I have them) when you can’t boot the computer up?

Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

This is the major dilemma with any upgrade: how do you fix a computer that’s so profoundly broken it won’t boot? Microsoft will tell you

a) safe mode
    b) reinstall, citizen.

And, in truth, b) is usually your only option. Assuming you intend to stick with Windows.

HotDawg
    Participant

With Windows 7, if it won’t fire up Explorer, the safe mode is not an option.

Repair mode (from the installation medium) thinks the computer booted OK, since it did. (Just that Explorer never started.) Options like sfc, chkdsk, regedit are available from the repair mode but haven’t helped me so far.

And, somewhere along the way the restore points got whacked.

Does make Linux look a little better, doesn’t it?

mycque
    Participant

No problem here. If I hadn’t read it here, I wouldn’t have known

Larry
    Participant

Micro-what,now?
    Still lovin my Chromebook since 2012! Last Windoze I used at home was XP which was fairly good.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.