18 Feb 17 – Which browser do you use? And why?

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 18 Feb 17 – Which browser do you use? And why?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Christian Christian 9 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

Looks like, right now, Chrome is the world’s most popular browser by quite a margin.

Racerbob
    Participant

The latest released version of Chrome 64bit with Opera 64bit latest release as a backup. And just for old times sake, Firefox is still installed on my system. But there is no matching the speed of Chromimum based browsers.

RChandra
    Participant

My browser of choice is Firefox because of the plethora of addons available for it (I use about 30), the fact that Classic Theme Restorer makes it sane again (what a flop Australis is to me), and the fact that none of the UI elements is animated. Chrome is obsessed with animating everything, starting with opening its main menu. Opera and Vivaldi similarly can’t just do their work, they have to make things zoom and slide and fade and…

I do have the latest Chrome built for Ubuntu and Opera 12.16 installed. This is for when sites will not render or work in Firefox (or at least with all the addons loaded, some of which might accidentally remove functionality, e.g. NoScript).

I keep Opera around (at least the 12.16 version, before they ruined it) because it has one really useful feature, different rendering modes. The two main ones are “author” and “user.” The former refers to the author of the page, and the latter the user of Opera. So when pages do stupid things, like only show one FAQ at a time and use JS tricks which alter CSS, I let the page load under author mode then click a button to bring up user mode, and generally any layout stupidity is “repaired” and I can more easily read the page. In that way, it works similarly to Firefox’s “Reader” mode, but for some reason, Firefox does not offer that for every page, and I don’t know what triggers the button to use it to appear.

My main MUA is Mutt, and for anything HTML-only, it runs Lynx. So in essence I also use Lynx, although it’s very rare I use it to browse the Web.

Just for experimentation, should I ever come across something strange with those main three, I have a handful of other really tiny user share browsers (like Dooble) installed, but my usage of them is really rare.

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by  RChandra.

Racerbob
    Participant

Chrome yields a 516 score here :

http://html5test.com/index.html

Opera = 513

Firefox = 471

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

Firefox, because I trust it more with my personal information. Chromium as a backup. Used to be fun using the browsers that came with Gnome and KDE; they worked just as well then but they probably can’t handle modern websites.

Since Google doesn’t control the desktop, they want to turn the browser into an operating system. For example the proposed extensions asm.js and NaCl allow raw assembly code to be embedded in Javascript, so a website would be able to do anything on your computer a native app could. It sort of seems like they’re trying to re-invent Java applets. At least with the JVM and Flash, developers could target one platform, but with this every website will need to support each platform (or not) individually.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

Accidentally double posted, but there’s no way to erase it, only edit it 🙁

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.