16 Jan 16 – MS dumped Win8 and IE 8, 9, & 10

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 16 Jan 16 – MS dumped Win8 and IE 8, 9, & 10

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Christian Christian 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

Yep. Party’s over, kids. Win8.1, Win10, IE11, Edge. That’s it.

Racerbob
    Participant

No problem at all with that decision. In that list, the only thing I currently use is Windows 10. And I am using a wonderful browser called Slimjet that is built on top of Chrome. Bye to Firefox also.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

I thought you were a Firefox loyalist, Racer. What made you finally decide to switch?

Racerbob
    Participant

Christian, when Mozilla came out with the Australis UI, this was the beginning of the end for me. My feeling is that they were not and still do not listen to their long time loyal users and that they alienated a whole bunch of us as a result. And if you take a look at the overall market share for Firefox, it is down around 10% or so. With each release they are losing more users.

I do retain an interest in an off shoot browser that is called Pale Moon.

Slimjet is just a cool browser. It is fast and has added features in it that the Chrome developers refuse to add. I like keeping a bookmarks side panel open and docked on the left side of the window. Slimjet has this feature. I wish that I could customize it a little better and I have asked the developers to consider some additional options for future releases. This browser starts immediately and there is no wait for it to open as their was for Firefox on my system. I have all of my stuff synced with my Android phone and really, after using this for some time now, it is feeling like an old friend. The only Mozilla product that I still use at this time is Thunderbird E Mail client and it continues to work very well for me.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

I dislike Mozilla for all the reasons you mentioned as well as their other BS. I think they saw Chrome gaining market share and naively thought they could attract users by making Firefox look like Chrome. The real reason users were switching was that Chrome performed a lot better than Firefox at the time. So instead of differentiating their product like they teach you in business, Firefox did the opposite.

I’ve hated most UI redesigns of the last decade and blame them on the “mobile first” mentality. To make websites and apps look good on mobile devices you inevitably make the desktop experience crappier looking and less useable. The redesign of Google Maps is a another example.

I tried switching to Chromium but realized it would be too difficult to duplicate the 11 extensions I’m using. In particular I couldn’t find anything to replace Session Manager and Clippings. Chromium also took more system resources for the way I use my browser. I have a habit of opening lots of tabs that I plan to read later. Session Manager helps because it can reload Firefox in such a way that only the saved tabs you click on use any resources. The feature is called “restore tabs on demand”. I couldn’t find a similar feature with Chromium so reloading it with dozens (sometimes hundreds) of tabs causes my system to grind to a halt. Also I still favor Firefox for the open-source factor.

I hope Thunderbird continues to be maintained. I like it very much and don’t see as many alternatives as there are for web browsers.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.