16 Dec 17 Net Neutrality was repealed

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 16 Dec 17 Net Neutrality was repealed

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Annoyed 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

It’s not entirely over yet; Congress has to approve. But it’s still bad.

HotDawg
    Participant

Why did the FCC even vote on it? Their minds were made up before anyone had a chance to comment on it. And the vote, like all others, went along party-lines. Can’t anyone in Washington think things out, and vote on things like the people that voted them into office want?

How much are we going to have to pay to watch Soundbytes on the YouTube channel?

RChandra
    Participant

How much are we going to have to pay to watch Soundbytes on the YouTube channel?

My guess would be whatever you were paying before ‘Net Neutrality rules were instituted a couple years ago, plus any nominal rate increases. There is a lot of fear mongering about how this will be (as REM put it) the end of the world as we know it. Things will be mostly the same IMO.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

I’m interested in what people think about the opposite end of internet regulations. Net Neutrality was put in place because many ISPs are effectively monopolies, but so are sites like Facebook and Youtube, and Net Neutrality doesn’t regulate them at all. Online censorship is becoming a bigger issue, and people are starting to recognize that social media is a de-facto public square. The same people who favor Net Neutrality suddenly go all “muh private business!” when we start talking about applying 1st Amendment principles to social networks.

Annoyed
    Participant

We havn’t had true net neutrality anyway. By definition, neutrality means treating all traffic the same. But networks have been giving priority to certain traffic such as VOIP for a long time now.
    But as far as I know, VOIP phones won’t work without prioritization.
    If we want true neutrality, that and all other favoritism would not exist. If VOIP can’t be made to work without it, that’s no big loss.

larryxword
    Participant

I believe in a free market. Net neutrality was a step away from that. I don’t think my mother should pay the same as me and others who do more than email and a little Facebook

What was so bad about the first 20-25 years of the WWW? That is the time before net neutrality (pre 2015).

Congress does not have to do anything. They could but they don’t have to. This week was a repeal of an earlier FCC decision.

Annoyed
    Participant

I’m interested in what people think about the opposite end of internet regulations. Net Neutrality was put in place because many ISPs are effectively monopolies, but so are sites like Facebook and Youtube, and Net Neutrality doesn’t regulate them at all. Online censorship is becoming a bigger issue, and people are starting to recognize that social media is a de-facto public square. The same people who favor Net Neutrality suddenly go all “muh private business!” when we start talking about applying 1st Amendment principles to social networks.

These services ARE private businesses. The Constitution provides for freedom of speech; the government can’t interfere with it. The Constitution also severely restricts the government’s ability to interfere with private property; IE telling a business it has to operate in a way the government demands.

The only legal solution I can see would be a govt. operated service. I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t trust the govt. to be a bias-free censor. Look how biased NPR is.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.