15 Apr 17 – May 9 is original Windows 10's retirement date

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 15 Apr 17 – May 9 is original Windows 10's retirement date

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  RChandra 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

For those of you who are so proud to have avoided the upgrades, the party’s over.

Racerbob
    Participant

Very happily running Windows 7 Pro here on my main machine. But there are no choices in the list for me to vote on, so I abstain.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

Looks like they’re switching to a support model with frequent updated releases for each Windows version (like a service pack) but each version will only be supported for the short time of about 18 months. Presumably all the feature changes and bug fixes will be packed into a release leaving the support period to deal exclusively with security patches. That would eliminate the current confusion over mainstream-support vs extended-support (which has led certain people to claim Windows 7 is unsupported). I wonder if they will have LTS releases as I can’t imagine businesses would be happy about having to upgrade so frequently.

RChandra
    Participant

18 months supported release cycle reminds me of Fedora.

I agree, a lot of enterprises really want LTS-esque products, even the product of an OS. Heck, when I parted ways with Sitel in 2010, they still had one supposedly critical (for one client) fax server running NT4. It was a question of what an updated fax server would have cost versus revenue generated by its operation, and it didn’t seem to make economic sense to spend the dollars. Plus much of the operation was XP desktops and Server 2003 despite Win Vista and Win 7 availablility, and the knowledge that the move away from XP was inevitable.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.