14 December 2013 – After the recent Snowden revelations…

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 14 December 2013 – After the recent Snowden revelations…

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Christian Christian 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

After the recent Snowden revelations, are you less likely to trust tech companies now?

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

Even before any of the Snowden revelations, it would’ve been naive to think information given to a company couldn’t be sold to other companies or the government. So no, my level of trust hasn’t changed, but knowing how the data is collected can help individuals manage their privacy better.

Just today I learned that the Post Office sells names & addresses to marketing companies. I had moved and almost right away I started getting mail with my name and new address (not forwarded with the yellow sticker). I thought how could this be? I hadn’t told anyone my address yet so it must be the Post Office’s doing. Sure enough, I found this article today:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamtanner/2013/07/08/how-the-post-office-sells-your-new-address-with-anyone-who-pays-and-the-little-known-loophole-to-opt-out/

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.