12 Apr 14 Windows XP and Office 2003 reach End of Life

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 12 Apr 14 Windows XP and Office 2003 reach End of Life

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  dbriggs 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

Yep. The party’s over.

HotDawg
    Participant

Don’t tell my computer! I have XP up in VirtualBox, and it just finished doing some updates. The latest was one published yesterday (Apr 11th).

With some 30% of the computers that run Windoze still on XP, it would seem that Microsoft would continue to support those loyal customers. Many of those users are corporate users, and moving to a new OS can have a learning curve.

Racerbob
    Participant

It is time to let go. XP was released in 2001. There is no reason why Microsoft should continue to support the operating system. After the infamous and disastrous Windows ME, XP was a winner. There is no good answer to this week’s question for me to click on. How about a simple “It is time to move on” answer ?

WayneHen
    Participant

We need a “Thank God” option. I’m very happy Microsoft is not going to continue to waste resources on maintaining an antiquated operating system – especially since the much more robust Windows 7 has been available for almost 5 years and even more robust Widows 8 for over a year. Both boot and run faster on my 7 year old PC that came with Windows XP Pro. The “but I need new hardware” argument no longer holds true. It’s amazing the number of people this caught by surprise since Microsoft has been warning us for almost three years. “Time to move on” indeed!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  WayneHen.

Racerbob
    Participant

I agree Wayne ! Windows 7 is excellent and Windows 8.1 has unfairly been stereotyped as being a bad operating system when it is not ! Now then, Windows ME was terrible. Windows 8.1 absolutely is not another Windows ME “crash every other minute” system.

But for those who absolutely MUST have their XP….

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/10/how_to_run_xp_on_new_windows/

Dan Warren
    Participant

If there was an easy way to upgrade without having to wipe XP and start all over, I would. But having been on XP for over a decade, my desktop computer is set up the way I want. Ir would be a nightmare to try to find all the original disks, downloads and upgrade incompatible software.

Racerbob
    Participant

Dan, what would you ever do in the event of a hard drive crash ? Sooner or later one must bite the bullet and at least do a format and reinstall even if it is to get a fresh start with a clean, unpolluted registry, etc.

Dan Warren
    Participant

I have several back ups included a complete mirror using Acrones to a sata dock for an internal hd

Racerbob
    Participant

So you are not concerned about going on the net with your XP box ? Even as time goes on ? I am working with a couple people right now trying to determine what they are going to do with their computers and if we should buy Windows 7 right now and upgrade, or if it would be better off for them to just buy a new tower or laptop.

Dan Warren
    Participant

Yes I am concerned, but I don’t know how many millions of computers are still out there in homes and business that are still running XP. I’m retired and on a fixed income. There are things around that house that have priority.
    I run AVAAST Pro, Malwarebytes and am behind a router. This computer is set up the way I want it. If something happens, so be it. Then I’ll get a new box and upgrade. But I am not chicken little. I think far to many people are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

HotDawg
    Participant

I have to agree with Dan Warren on a couple of points.

I am running Win 7 as the OS of choice here, but do still have XP up in VirtualBox. I did have a problem a little while back with the Win 7 where I thought maybe reloading the Win 7 might have solved problems. I originally ran XP, then decided awhile back to move on the Win 7. To do this, I bought the ‘family pack’ upgrade option for Win 7. Then, because the scanner I had wasn’t supported by the Win 7 Home, I upgraded to the Win 7 Pro — and that gave me the ability to run programs in XP mode. That was a BIG misteak!

Now to do a reload of the OS (Win 7 Pro) over itself was impossible with the CDs that I had! I did download a Win 7 Pro image, and using that was able to do my reload. But, if I needed to do a fresh install, my product code(s) won’t work. For a fresh install I would need to install XP, then upgrade to Win7 Home, and then up to the Win 7 Pro. Grrr….

As far as the security aspect of the XP. like Dan, I also try to run a tight ship. What I have runs fine with no need for future improvements. As long as there are some free anti-virus/malware programs available, I will do fine. I happen to have currently 3 computers up and running (and connected to the internet) that run MSDOS — and they have been up for months without any crashes. They run some proprietary software that is not available for more recent variations of any OS. Been no problem with any hackers getting into those boxes! As the hackers aim for the biggest target of users, they aren’t going to be writing for the weak points in XP. They will be after the people running Win 7 and 8.

Racerbob
    Participant

I will take my chances running Windows 8.1, the newest Norton Internet Security that I just picked up for exactly $8.23 on the net last week and Malwarebytes Pro with a lifetime license that I was smart enough to buy several years ago.

I understand the fixed income situation. I am not there yet, but I am as frugal as I can possibly be…henceforth the $8.23 Norton that I am running.

HotDawg, did you try doing all of the Windows 7 install “tricks” to get that product key to work ? You said that you are running Windows 7 Pro that did come with a key ?? I have successfully installed Windows 7 from an upgrade disc quite a few times. 🙂

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/31402-clean-install-upgrade-windows-7-version.html

Dan Warren
    Participant

While I am retired, my fixed income, is enough for my wife and I to live very comfortably. It’s just that a new computer is way down the list. So far my desktop computer isn’t broke, so there is no need to fix it.

HotDawg
    Participant

Racerbob: Thanks for the link. A bunch of good ideas there. I will have to go thru them more closely.

I started this reply a while back — got called away — and after I finished it apparently I had been logged off, and, while the SUBMIT button didn’t complain, my reply went into the bitbucket.

Very Briefly, I had originally XP Pro, upgraded to Win 7 Home with an upgrade DVD, then got what was supposed to be a Product key from Microsoft for doing a Windows Anytime Upgrade to Win 7 Pro.

Trying to use the DVD I had, since it was for an upgrade, it would not let me start to do a full install. I had to be running it from within windows, and then do the custom install route. But, it wouldn’t go that way either, since my Windows was 7 Pro, and it was for Win 7 Home. They say that is not an upgrade!

Never got to the point of being able to enter a Product key.

I downloaded (from Microsoft) a DVD image for Win 7 Pro and attempted to reinstall with that. It would not accept the Product Key that Microsoft had sent me — claimed it wasn’t a Product key. Maybe that was only good for doing upgrades???

Microsoft has never considered you might want to go backwards under some conditions. In another life I had been running MSDOS 3.1, and had a good backup. Upgraded to 3.2. Had a problem and needed files off the 3.1 backup. No way — had to install 3.1 on a spare machine, suck the files off the backup there, and sneakernet them over to the other computer.

dbriggs
    Participant

it’s time for a new box anyway. waitin on a 1T8G one w/Win7. by 2020 it’ll be time for another

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.