Reply To: help with windows update with xp sp3 and ie8

Home Forums Windows help with windows update with xp sp3 and ie8 Reply To: help with windows update with xp sp3 and ie8

stevenr1111
Participant

Backup registry didn’t help because they were all gone. The history on this beast was that the owner had at one time made it a duel boot system with xp and windows 7. When he removed the window 7 portion it wasn’t pretty. I remotely scanned the drive and found several nasty viruses along with numerous malware. After that I was able to boot into xp but with multiple errors such as: unable to access the windows update page or any other page that had the name microsoft in the address. If I accessed the desktop properties page there were no tabs visible, just monitor adjustments. I found that the .net installations were corrupted. I initially attempted to do a repair with the setup disk but it would go into a setup loop and never finish. I tried reloading sp3 with no difference. Tried a rollback to sp2 but the recovery files were missing. Fortunately I had done a full backup using easeus, so every time I ran into a brick wall I was able to restore it. Between isolating many flawed registry settings I was able to export proper entries using another pc. It was like peeling an onion with tiny steps of improvement. Finally once I was able to get the update page to work everything began to fall into place.