Reply To: 17 Jun 17 – How Fast is Your Home Internet Connection Really?

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 17 Jun 17 – How Fast is Your Home Internet Connection Really? Reply To: 17 Jun 17 – How Fast is Your Home Internet Connection Really?

RChandra
Participant

Almost every time I’ve tried measuring it, within a megabit per second, my service meets and often exceeds its 50/50 provisioning. The only complaint I have about it (with respect to speed anyway) is that it’s about average in price for here, but compared to a lot of locales around the world, it’s expensive. Plus the contract is structured weirdly, where the service is $85/mo., but I get $30/mo. in discounts. If they think I’m going to pay that kind of money for that kind of speed, they’re mistaken (I’ll just hold my nose and migrate to Spectrum).

Sadly, you can have the fastest and most consistent connection in the world, and it still can’t help with certain problems. For example, it appears at this time there is only one source of PPAs, and if there’s a mirroring system, I don’t know about it. I like having close to the latest features for FlightGear Flight Simulator, but I don’t want to build it myself. Luckily, there is a PPA for that which typically gets updated every 3 months or so. One of the packages is over a gigabyte. Normally, I see Aptitude’s display of throughput in the six megabytes per second range, but for just about any PPA, it’s typically more like 450 kilobytes per second 🙁 . Needless to say, it took a (comparatively) long time anyway, despite having fairly good first-hop speed.