Reply To: 4 Mar 17 – YouTube is going to offer a TV bundle for $35/month

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 4 Mar 17 – YouTube is going to offer a TV bundle for $35/month Reply To: 4 Mar 17 – YouTube is going to offer a TV bundle for $35/month

RChandra
Participant

I wonder why that page and so many other Web pages covering the story are so reluctant to just list the channels, that they resort to tiny thumbnails of channels’ logos. At least one of them I can’t read because the print is so tiny, although it looks like there’s a CBS logo embedded in it.

I have to wonder if we’ll ever have a la carte. You never know when any particular network will have a break-out hit. I notice that YTTV lineup doesn’t have AMC, meaning I would miss “Breaking Bad” and “Halt and Catch Fire.” Granted, its episodes are available on other services (I missed recording one “Breaking Bad” over TWC, so I was able to buy the missed episode on Google Play), but that’s not the point. Many networks do not make the episodes available on these alternate services until some time has passed, and in that time you have your friends discussing what they saw before you get to see it. Some producers would happily let you watch their content on their Web site…*if* you have a cable subscription. And on that note, the authentication system of these networks sometimes did not list TWC as an option, even though TWC was carrying their channel!

The landscape of audiovisual entertainment is changing rapidly. Networks are losing their significance and they know it. Among the questions will be is if the Internet carriers will be up to the challenge of transiting all this content. I have to wonder if the load can be alleviated if “TV” as we know it today can be multicast so that it’s no longer individual streams.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  RChandra.
  • This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  RChandra.