Reply To: 31 Dec 16 – How’s your laptop battery life?

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 31 Dec 16 – How’s your laptop battery life? Reply To: 31 Dec 16 – How’s your laptop battery life?

Christian
Christian
Participant

Got 2008 Macbook advertised for 6h. It probably got closer to that with OS X but with Linux, without any power-saving tricks enabled, it gets about 2h. (thanks Apple for charging me $120 to replace an expanding battery that should have been free due to being a fire hazard.) Also have an HP Mini netbook from 2010 advertised for 10 hours. Again it might have got that with Windows 7 but I never even booted it before overwriting it with Debian. It’s also on it’s second battery. I’d guess it gets about 4h, but for both laptops it really depends how heavily I’m using them. One habit I’ve gotten into is I rarely turn them off. When traveling I just close the lid which puts them in sleep mode. I suppose if it was a long enough trip this could fully discharge them.

I’m not sure if some Linux distros detect that they’re on a laptop and enable further power saving features. I’m sure it’s possible to achieve the same battery life as the original OS by enabling certain power saving measures. Some of the things I did for the netbook were enabling cpu frequency scaling, turning the screen off after a minute, dimming the screen, letting the hard drive spin down when inactive. There may be other tricks.