Reply To: It says here that Ubuntu updates every six months

Home Forums Linux It says here that Ubuntu updates every six months Reply To: It says here that Ubuntu updates every six months

RChandra
Participant

I don’t know what you were running, because Canonical (the Ubuntu people) do not label their releases as V-anything. Their release version numbering starts with the year of the release minus 2000, a dot, and a zero filled on the left two digit month number within that year. So for example the last release which has been made is 16.10, released this past October. Their long term support (LTS) releases have occurred every 2 years in April, the last of which was 16.04.

If you had a “GUI” that looked like a terminal, it’s rather likely you didn’t have a GUI, and yes, it would have likely been a video hardware driver issue.

The usual case for hardware support though is USUALLY but not always decades. There really has to be a compelling reason to remove support, such as security flaws found or a kernel architectual/API change and noone willing to take responsibility for maintaining the code. I have a Keyspan USB to four RS232-C port adapter that I bought in the mid 1990s which still works on the latest Ubuntu LTS. As a counterexample, an ISA Industrial Computer Source watchdog timer board I bought around the same time no longer has support, only the later PCI version of that circuit has a module anymore.