Reply To: Raspian rc.local pianobar

Home Forums Linux Raspian rc.local pianobar Reply To: Raspian rc.local pianobar

Jim
Participant

I’m trying again to go through log messages. I’m not sure what I’m looking for so I’ve been opening the various log files one by one. I may just try learn another way to start the program automatically.
In the rc.local file I put this pianobar command…
—————————
_IP=$(hostname -I) || true
if [ “$_IP” ]; then
printf “My IP address is %s\n” “$_IP”
fi
sh /home/pi/pianobar.sh &
exit 0
————————–
this starts a script….

#!/usr/bin/env bash
aoss pianobar
exit
————————–
I don’t think it’s a permission issue as I’ve made the script executable. This is the first auto start script I’ve ever tried so I suppose I need something better or more robust than what I wrote. I know when I run the script manually after boot it works.

New users everywhere seem to have issues getting pianobar to start at boot and a quite a few experienced people have said that rc.local is not the best way, they recommend an init script whatever that is. I think I need more general knowledge in running bash scripts.

I’ve read people use cron, so I may try to find some good lessons on how that works as well. I’m starting to feel like I got in over my head but I do seem to learn a few things every day. I never imagined it would be this difficult to run a simple bash command at startup.

Thanks for your input, I’m going to spend a little more time combing over the log files.
Jim

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  Jim.
  • This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  Jim.