Reply To: 17 Sept 16 – Netflix asks FCC to declare data caps “unreasonable”

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 17 Sept 16 – Netflix asks FCC to declare data caps “unreasonable” Reply To: 17 Sept 16 – Netflix asks FCC to declare data caps “unreasonable”

RChandra
Participant

The Wegmans analogy is flawed. If I don’t like Wegmans I can go to Tops. If I don’t like Tops I can go to PriceRite. Or I can go to Walmart, Aldi, Trader Joe’s, Market in the Square, Save-a-Lot, Target, and many other places. For Internet service, my choices are pretty much Verizon or Spectrum/Time Warner Cable. Cellular and satellite are options but not really comparable services. We can almost count on, if Verizon didn’t offer FiOS or DSL, S/TWC would impose usage caps and overage fees, just because they can, despite the fact that they are NOT charged by the byte for transit. Or we could almost equally count on, if S/TWC imposed caps, Verizon would shortly thereafter impose them to, because they know the public does not have anywhere else to turn. (Of course, substitute whatever cableco and telco are local to you; Verizon and S/TWC happen to be local to me.) THAT is why regulation is needed.

Believe you me, I’m as libertarian as the next guy, and I’d prefer as little regulation as possible. But because we generally agree that we don’t want to see a dozen or more cables strung on the utility poles, we have at best probably 3 choices: cableco, telco, amd MAYBE Google Fiber. And with so little competition, large companies WILL abuse their oligopolistic position. It’s been proven many times that the likelihood is great.