Reply To: 28 May 16 Have you been caught by an unexpected Windows 10 install?

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 28 May 16 Have you been caught by an unexpected Windows 10 install? Reply To: 28 May 16 Have you been caught by an unexpected Windows 10 install?

HotDawg
Participant

My experiences:

I have a couple computers with Win 7 on them, and a couple with 8.1. Two of those machine (one 7, one 8.1) I had let update to Win 10, and quickly rolled back. A couple problems with doing that, but not anything serious.

Where I could, I hid the update that would install 10, and also was able to hide the stupid icon from the task bar. It looked like all was good.

Then, one 8.1 machine would have an update showing that I could not hide (greyed out) — but it said it had to be updated from the desktop.

Then I found out about Never10, and ran it on all the machines. It did offer to remove the downloaded update files (which I let it do). Looked like I was safe from MS tampering with my computer. But, I turned off all automatic installing of updates to be somewhat safer.

Now that one 8.1 machine has an update showing that will install 10 if I click on it. Says it is ready to install, so I assume it thinks all the files have been downloaded. But, Never10 says I have disabled the install, and doesn’t show any files it might remove for me.

In one of the other Microsoft updates have they overridden what Never10 does?

Bonus question: When the free updates end (in July?) will they still be forcing updates? Or will that end this hacking into my system.

Linux really is looking good. I run a couple installations of Slackware, and a couple of Ubuntu. The Ubuntu is a nice user-friendly distribution. The Slackware really assumes you are familiar with things — but is a solid, stable operating system.