Reply To: 20 Feb 16 Should the government be able to access your encrypted cell phone data

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 20 Feb 16 Should the government be able to access your encrypted cell phone data Reply To: 20 Feb 16 Should the government be able to access your encrypted cell phone data

ScreenScream
Participant

Racerbob: The govt uses fear constantly to breach the Bill of Rights. Although there is of course the possibility of terrorists as you claim, a cover story on a popular magazine this week (it may be Newsweek) is suggesting our biggest terrorist threat now are the “Sovereign Citizens” (domestic) type people (the Oregon mess).

(Which I disagree with, not a topic for here/now)

Point being, don’t ever allow fear to dictate what the govt is allowed to do. That’s their favorite go-to.

That said, I am not completely familiar with the story, but here’s the most common sense answer based on what I’ve heard:

Govt absolutely has zero right to learn and break the encryption. ZERO.

Should they have access to the *data* beyond the encryption? Of course, WITH a proper and lawful warrant (which based on my many run-ins with govt is rare) that is used solely to track national security issues relating to known terrorist cells.

And even then I’d insist the warrant be extremely specific to the exact information needed.

If govt wasn’t so incredibly, obnoxiously corrupt, this would of course not be an issue.

But since they are, and since they work SO hard to chisel away at the Bill of Rights, almost never enhancing people’s rights but instead attempting to take away rights, we have to be ever-vigilant and watch every, single, damn, thing, they, do.

As cordial as I could keep it Nick. Great restraint was exercised. GREAT restraint. đŸ˜‰