Reply To: Forum: 26 Sept 15 – AVG says it can sell your data if you use their free version

Home Forums The Poll Discussion Forum: 26 Sept 15 – AVG says it can sell your data if you use their free version Reply To: Forum: 26 Sept 15 – AVG says it can sell your data if you use their free version

RChandra
Participant

It’s the yin and the yang. If the product is free to you, you’re the product being sold to someone else, even if anonymously. Google for example provides a great amount of value for not charging any money, and we know going in it’s our usage/activity which gets sold to their clients, more-or-less anonymized (although not perfectly anonymized, because it’s possible for Google’s clients to apply some analysis to figure out my usage data). So on the surface of it, I don’t like AVG selling information about me, but if it’s anonymized, I care less, but it would provide something valuable so I would put up with it.

As it is though, I only run Windows for one specific purpose periodically (updating my TomTom), and my “antivirus” is Linux. (Yes, I realize it’s not immune, but it’s pretty darn good.)