Reply To: 19 Sept 15 – Would you prefer to pay for content or give up your ad blocker?

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 19 Sept 15 – Would you prefer to pay for content or give up your ad blocker? Reply To: 19 Sept 15 – Would you prefer to pay for content or give up your ad blocker?

Annoyed
Participant

This is a problem that the advertising industry itself needs to address.
People install ad blockers because the advertising on some sites is extremely overbearing and interferes with the content that you’re going there to see, sometimes to the point the content is unreadable.

Most people aren’t going to go to the trouble of selectively enabling/disabling a blocker on a site by site basis. They put one on to cope with the obnoxious sites, and all web site operators suffer.

If the industry expects to survive, they had best cooperate with each other and police themselves, limiting all web advertising to banner ads other static content which doesn’t interfere with the usage of the site.

If they don’t, blockers will continue and there will be more of them as time goes on. Site operators will stop buying advert. services, and the web advertising business will go away.

I have less then zero sympathy for advertisers; they are the cause of this, with their constant attempts to shove ads down our throats, up to and including poisoning the DNS system in order to deliver ads. (I run my own DNS server for the express purpose of avoiding DNS redirect ads)