Reply To: Windows 10's New Feature that Steals Your Internet Bandwidth

Home Forums Windows Windows 10's New Feature that Steals Your Internet Bandwidth Reply To: Windows 10's New Feature that Steals Your Internet Bandwidth

HotDawg
Participant

Well, I have updated two computers here to Win 10. In both cases instead of using the MS recommended EXPRESS install. I selected the CUSTOM. And, turned every option off. I thought that was supposed to turn off the bandwidth sharing.

However, in both cases, I find it was still enabled. If you go to
START
Settings
Update & Security
Windows Update
Advanced Options
Choose: How updates are delivered
you can change the “updates from more than one place” to ON or OFF. Mine was set to ON and I changed it to OFF. And, if you set it to ON, you can also restrict the sharing to just your LAN.

I have an installation of Ubuntu and I had installed the Tor browser (but never used it). I found it was using an absurd amount of bandwidth — so it got blown away. Tor, for those that are not aware of it, is a browser that relays HTTP request thru several relay points so it is difficult to trace back to the originating user.

I suspect the Microsoft shared updates could really use a lot of bandwidth, especially like right now when there are a lot of updates being done.