Reply To: Gmail & IMAP

Home Forums The Show Discussion Gmail & IMAP Reply To: Gmail & IMAP

Christian
Participant

Google screwed me again! It works for a month or two and then, since Google knows best, they changed my settings. I opened Thunderbird and of course, none of the new emails downloaded, so I have to go to the web interface. There I see “sign-in attempt blocked”. Great. Thanks, Google. It says

if this was you, we recommend switching to an app made by Google such as Gmail

No kidding. I didn’t see that coming 🙂

or change your settings so that your account is no longer protected by modern security standards

I love the vague “modern security standards”. It’s like Google has borrowed the FUD page from Microsoft’s 90’s playbook. I mean, it’s not like they could have written something more informative. It’s not like users of Google services are technically savvy. So I go to the settings page and see

Some apps use less secure sign-on technology which makes your account more vulnerable. You can turn off access for these apps which we recommend, or turn on access if you want to use them despite the risks.

Less-secure sign-on technology, another technical term. Clicking on “Learn More” shows

Some examples of apps that do not use the latest security standards include:
Some Desktop mail clients like Microsoft Outlook and Mozilla Thunderbird

There it is. Google does not want you using Thunderbird, makes vague and misleading statements in order to dissuade you, and configures Gmail settings in order to break Thunderbird.