Reply To: 9 Aug 14 How Fast Should “High Speed” Internet Be?

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 9 Aug 14 How Fast Should “High Speed” Internet Be? Reply To: 9 Aug 14 How Fast Should “High Speed” Internet Be?

RChandra
Participant

All speeds are relative. If your only economical option is DSL, you’d be hard-pressed to get 8M/768K stably, but more likely somewhere in the region of 3M/512K (with average effective wire length). So I feel lament at “high speed” being declarerd 10M/1M, because a lot of DSL customers (and probably satellite as well) would not be considered so.

I’m at 15/1, and I think of it as high speed. It’s certainly a lot better than the DSL I had at 1.5M/384K. But because I back up my 16G Nexus 7 to Google Drive, the 1 up is agonizingly slow to me. I really wish the “standard” was at least 5M up. I’d like to see the norm be similar to the current FiOS base package, which is 25M symmetrical.

Really, instead of speed, I’d like prices to be more in line with the rest of the world; e.g. I hear tell Korea is 100M symmetrical at about the equivalent of $30/mo.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by  RChandra. Reason: mention price instead of speed